Are you the publisher? Claim or contact us about this channel

Embed this content in your HTML


Report adult content:

click to rate:

Account: (login)

More Channels


Channel Catalog

older | 1 | .... | 602 | 603 | (Page 604) | 605 | 606 | 607 | newer

    0 0

    Two men have been arrested in connection with a fatal shooting outside a Fort Lauderdale nightclub that was reported last week.

    The shooting happened about 4:20 a.m. Wednesday in the parking lot of B.A.M. nightclub near West Broward Boulevard and Northwest 28th Terrace.

    Broward Sheriff's Office spokeswoman Keyla Concepcion said a deputy was patrolling the area and found a man's body after hearing gunshots. Joshua  Rogers, 27, was pronounced dead at the scene.

    Awince Lasseur, 27, was found by authorities Saturday in Plantation, and Peudritto Joseph, 32, was arrested Saturday in Jacksonville. Both men face charges of attempted second-degree murder.

    Rogers' grandmother told Local 10 News that Rogers had been shot twice before Wednesday's shooting.

    Follow Local 10 News on Twitter @WPLGLocal10


    0 0

    A dog pulled from a home that was on fire in Dania Beach has succumbed to his injuries, Broward Sheriff's Fire Rescue spokesman Mike Jachles said.

    The fire was reported Monday afternoon at a home in the 5700 block of Park Road.

    It's unclear whether anyone besides the dog was inside the home when the fire broke out.

    Watch Local 10 News or refresh this page for updates.

    Follow Local 10 News on Twitter @WPLGLocal10

    0 0

    Find registered sex offenders in your neighborhood.

    0 0
  • 12/01/15--16:00: Pets available for adoption
  • Garfield is waiting at the Humane Society of Broward County, along with all the other fabulous friends in this slideshow looking for a family to call their own.

    0 0

    Miami’s colorful Wynwood walls are a must-see for tourists and art lovers, and they are also an important backdrop to this year's Art Basel Miami Beach weekend. But it wasn't too long ago that the area near the design district had a much different vibe.

    0 0

    Use the interactive map to navigate Wynwood during Art Basel 2015. Click around to discover where street festivals and art fairs will be held. The map also includes some of the most popular spots.

    0 0

    Hundreds of Florida International University students were evacuated from an apartment building near campus early Thursday morning after a fire broke out while someone was cooking. 

    Witnesses told Local 10 News that a grease fire sparked the flames on the 10th floor of 109 Tower along Southwest 109th Avenue at Seventh Street after midnight. Much of the floor was damaged by fire and other parts of the building suffered water damage from the sprinkler system. 

    No one was injured, but many residents stayed up all night searching for a place to sleep.

    "That's what I'm doing right now," one student told Local 10 News. "I'm about to go hike to go sleep on a couch."

    Jaime Zapata, who lives in the off-campus housing, told Local 10 News that students were told to pack their bags and plan to be out of the building for two days. Many of them left the building without identification and were worried because they have finals to study for and take. 

    "They've had us out here since about 2 or 3 in the morning, telling us that we can't go back inside because it's not safe," student Analee Wharton said.


    Susan Jennings, vice president of EdR Collegiate Housing, which owns the apartment building, said the majority of students have been allowed to return to their rooms. She said the students who lived in the apartment where the fire occurred and near the apartment have been put up in a hotel by the company.

    According to Jennings, the sprinkler system was activated for about 20 minutes after the fire broke out.

    FIU authorities said 109 Tower resumed normal operations Tuesday night.

    Follow Michael Seiden on Twitter @SeidenLocal10

    Follow Local 10 News on Twitter @WPLGLocal10

    0 0

    Key West police arrested a Monroe County Sheriff's Office employee Tuesday, charging him with lewd and lascivious activity on a 15-year-old girl, the Sheriff's Office said.

    Deonte Stemage, 21, was arrested Tuesday while working as a records assistant at the Monroe County Detention Center, deputies said.

    Stemage was booked into the detention center on the felony charges.

    Sheriff Rick Ramsay immediately terminated Stemage from his employment. Deputies said Stemage has worked for the Sheriff’s Office since Dec. 18, 2014.

    Follow Local 10 News on Twitter @WPLGLocal10

    0 0

    The woman South Daytona police identified on Monday as the person who posted a picture of  a dog with duct tape wrapped tightly around its mouth has been charged with animal cruelty.

    The picture sparked both outrage on social media and a police investigation.

    Police said the social media page belonging to Katharine Lemansky, 45, showed her living in South Daytona, but authorities later found the picture was taken in Cary, North Carolina.

    South Daytona officials reportedly heard from Lemansky's family, who told them she had not lived in South Daytona for more than a year.

    Lemansky was found in Cary and charged by North Carolina police.

    "Taping the dog’s muzzle shut was a terrible decision on Ms. Lemansky’s part, and charging her with animal cruelty under North Carolina law was the right thing to do," said Cary Police Captain Randall Rhyne. "She realizes she made a terrible decision."

    Police said they worked with law enforcement agencies in two states to determine jurisdiction and to pursue a quick resolution to the situation, which prompted public outcry.

    "The picture posted on social media was very disturbing and our department worked very hard to resolve this case," said South Daytona Police Chief Ronald Wright. "We are also appreciative of the Cary Police Department’s assistance."

    The posting went viral online, with the city of South Daytona's Facebook posting reaching 1.4 million people and receiving more than 19,000 comments and 600 messages, according to a news release from police.

    The city said it also brought in extra resources to handle the calls into the police station.

    "It's important to also note that our animal control officers, who physically examined both Brown and her litter mates, found the dogs to be very well cared for, which is why we did not and could not remove them from the owner," Rhyne said. "The dogs are current on their shots, spayed and microchipped. They are clean and well-nourished and appear to be comfortable in their surroundings. And there were no signs of injury to Brown's muzzle, not even detectable hair loss."

    Lemansky's charge carries a fine and possibly up to 150 days in jail. She is scheduled to appear in court Dec. 14.

    Follow Local 10 News on Twitter @WPLGLocal10

    0 0

    The University of Miami's search for a new head football coach has apparently gone to the dogs.

    According to ESPN, school officials have interviewed former Georgia Bulldogs head coach Mark Richt and current Mississippi State Bulldogs head coach Dan Mullen for the Hurricanes top job.

    The report also claims UM has interviewed former coaches Butch Davis and Greg Schiano.

    Although Richt may have officially interviewed for the position, there is a question as to whether he'd be willing to return to his alma mater.

    A report in the Atlanta Journal Constitution claims that Richt is not interested in returning to Miami as the Hurricanes head coach.

    Georgia fired Richt, 55, on Sunday after 15 years with the university. Richt lead the Bulldogs to two SEC Championships and was twice named the conference's coach of the year.

    On his radio show on Monday, Richt said that he had been contacted by about five schools regarding their empty head coaching positions, but did not identify which schools.

    Richt would seem to have plenty of opportunities to return to the sidelines with jobs open at high-profile schools like Maryland, South Carolina, Virginia and Missouri.

    The article on claims it's doubtful that Richt would even take a head coaching job next season.

    Mullen, an offensive mastermind, is about to complete his seventh season with Mississippi State. The former Florida Gators assistant under Steve Spurrier is credited with turning around a dormant football program.

    ESPN says Mullen interviewed with Miami within the past 24 hours.

    Miami has been interviewing candidates to replace Al Golden who was fired on Oct. 25. The Hurricanes finished the regular season with an 8-4 record under interim head coach Larry Scott.

    Follow Local 10 Sports on Twitter @Local10Sports

    0 0

    A Miami-Dade police officer accused of stealing jewelry from a home while helping the DEA execute a search warrant in May pleaded guilty Tuesday to dealing in stolen property.

    Detective Karel Rosario, a nine-year veteran of the Miami-Dade Police Department, was arrested in June after it was discovered that he tried to sell some of the stolen jewelry to a jeweler at the Seybold Jewelry Building in downtown Miami.

    According to the State Attorney's Office, Rosario stole a Cartier watch containing a custom diamond bezel, a gold bracelet with diamonds, a Cartier-style "Nail" bracelet, a Rolex Daytona watch, a Bulgari ring, a Bulgari bracelet, a David Yurman bracelet and several expensive bottles of perfume from the home of Yulia Martinez.

    Martinez was arrested May 20, along with four others, for her alleged involvement in a crime ring that earned about $6.5 million while dealing pharmaceutical drugs in Miami-Dade County.

    Police said the suspects were buying drugs from patients and reselling them to manufacturers.

    After bonding out of jail, Martinez told authorities that she realized the items were missing from her home, and no receipts were left at the residence specifying items that were seized, as is proper police protocol.

    According to an SAO report, surveillance video showed Rosario meeting with a jeweler, identified as Joel Hernandez, at the Seybold Jewelry Building in downtown Miami on May 27, and trying to sell him the Cartier watch and bracelet.

    Hernandez told Rosario he wasn't interested, but would post photos of the watch on the social media site, WhatsApp so that other jewelers could respond if interested.

    The jeweler told authorities that he was contacted by another jeweler, identified as Joel Vigo, who claimed that the watch was purchased from him by Martinez's husband.

    "Every police department depends on the integrity and professionalism of its officers," State Attorney Katherine Fernandez Rundle said. "Detective Rosario sold out his integrity the minute he picked up that jewelry.  He has let down the good people of Miami-Dade County and every professional police officer who risks death each day to uphold our laws."

    Rosario is scheduled to be sentenced on Jan. 22.

    Follow Local 10 News on Twitter @WPLGLocal10

    0 0

    A man told police he caught Sean Tucker peeking through a bathroom window to watch a woman shower.

    Broward Sheriff's Office deputies arrested Tucker, 22, in Parkland, Monday. He was charged with burglary, voyeurism first offense, loitering and prowling. His bond was set at $80,000, records show.

    Detectives said he was caught spying on a homeowner who was taking a shower Monday and according to area residents, it's not his first time.

    "I look over and saw the shadow of a guy hoisting himself up," Lisa Ponczek said.

    In 2014, Local 10 News' cameras were in the same area, a gated community off Holmberg Road in Parkland. That's when residents first told Local 10 News about a peeping Tom in the area.

    "I heard a squeaking on the window, which I now think is the bottom of the sneaker against the glass," Ponczek said.

    A week before that, detectives said the person was caught on camera checking out another home. Residents said they later identified the young man as Tucker, but didn't pursue charges hoping he could get his act together.

    Tucker has a criminal history. He was arrested in 2014 in Parkland for marijuana possession. And he was arrested for burglary and larceny in 2013 in Lee County, records show.

    Follow Andrew Perez on Twitter @PerezLocal10

    Follow reporter Andrea Torres on Twitter @MiamiCrime

    0 0

    A pedestrian is dead after being struck by a train, according to Miami Fire Rescue officials.

    Northwest Seventh Avenue, Northwest 17th Avenue and Northwest 22nd Avenue were blocked by the train after the man was struck Tuesday night.

    Northwest 12th Avenue has a bridge and was being used as an alternative route for traffic traveling north or south in the area.

    No other details were given.

    Watch Local 10 News and refresh for updates on this story.

    Follow Local 10 News on Twitter @WPLGLocal10

    0 0

    Three people and a dog were injured Tuesday morning after a small plane crashed in Opa-locka.

    Miami-Dade Aviation Department spokesman Greg Chin said a single-engine Cherokee PA-28 departed from Miami-Opa Locka Executive Airport at 10:35 a.m., but soon after had to land in a nearby body of water.

    A view from Sky 10 showed that the plane was upside down on its roof next to the water near the airport and a Tri-Rail station, causing some train delays.

    Miami-Dade Fire Rescue said two men and a woman were being airlifted to Jackson Memorial Hospital's Ryder Trauma Center.

    The pilot, identified as James Webster, suffered a broken clavicle and nose. The passengers, a couple in their 70s, also suffered broken bones. Webster and Otto Wild are both listed in fair condition. The woman's identity has not been released.

    The dog, a 9-year-old Sherpard-Golden mix named Sugar, suffered a broken paw and small cuts to the head and is being treated at Broward Animal Hospital.

    dog video

    "It's like a child (with) no seat belt -- car gets in a crash, flips over, where's the child going to go? tumbling around in the  cab of the vehicle. Same thing happened in the airplane," Dr. Russell Bishop said. "Basically she has an abrasion between the eyes, small superficial, small wound on outside of wrist and broken carple bone."

    Witnesses told Local 10 News reporter Terrell Forney that the plane appeared to either be on fire or smoking before it crashed.

    "It was on fire in the air and then it crashed down," one witness, Kimberly Green, said. "Once it hit the smoke stopped and then the guy with the gray shirt -- he ran to try to get the two other guys out, and then you see the dog run out of the plane… he couldn't get the lady out."

    A few men also witnessed the crash and rushed over to help. Jose Batres, who works at a nearby warehouse, told Local 10 News that the woman appeared to suffer the most significant injuries.

    "The husband pulled her from the leg and we go outside and take from the back and put (her) in the grass," he said.

    Authorities said they saw signs of a small fire at the front of the aircraft upon arrival, but firefighters did not have to extinguish any flames.

    hospital video

    The group was on their way to Bimini, where the couple and the pilot both have homes.

    The cause of the crash was not immediately known.

    Follow Local 10 News on Twitter @WPLGLocal10


    0 0

    [Update 12:22 a.m ET Thursday]

    The family has not been able to track down recently named suspect Syed Farook or his wife since Wednesday morning, said Hussam Ayloush, executive director of CAIR (the Council on American Islamic Relations). [Update 12:02 a.m ET Thursday]

    Farhan Khan, the brother-in-law of the suspect Syed Farook, told reporters: "I have no idea why he would he do something like this. I have absolutely no idea. i am in shock myself." Khan said he last talked to Farook a week ago.

    [Update midnight ET]

    ATF tells CNN that one of the guns used in the shooting was legally purchased and traces back to someone believe to be connect with the shooting. The agency would not disclose the name of the purchaser.

    [Update 11:56 p.m. ET Wednesday]

    One of the suspects involved in the San Bernardino shootings has been identified as Syed Farook, an inspector with the county health department, who abruptly left the event at the Inland Regional Center before the shootings, multiple law enforcement sources tell CNN.

    The sources said the residence in Redlands, California, surrounded by law enforcement is connected to Farook. It is that house where the chase began that led to the shootout with the occupants of the SUV.

    The sources could not say for certain that he was in the SUV, if he was a shooter, or that he is one of the dead. The sources did say that Syed Farook is known to be a U.S. citizen.

    [Previous story 11:56 ET]

    Two suspects died in a gun battle with police Wednesday hours after authorities say they burst into a holiday party at a center for people with developmental disabilities and killed 14 people.

    But it was unclear whether the furious shootout with the male and female suspects was the end of a daylong manhunt after the mass shooting at the Inland Regional Center in San Bernardino.

    An FBI raid was unfolding late Wednesday at an apartment in Redlands, where authorities were serving a search warrant connected to the shooting.

    Mass shooting

    The violence began around 11 a.m. at the convention building at the Inland Regional Center where employees with the county health department were attending a holiday event. Witnesses said at least two shooters opened fire, killing 14 people.

    Another 17 people were hurt -- many wounded by bullets from automatic-style rifles, some injured in the panic to escape.

    The shooters fled in a black SUV, prompting a huge police response in the area.

    As the hours passed, the hunt for the suspects continued with a tip taking officers to a home about 10 miles away in Redlands.

    When detectives followed up on it, a black SUV with Utah plates passed by slowly then sped up and raced off, a law enforcement official close to the investigation told CNN. A police car spotted it and took up pursuit.

    There was a shootout, the official said. The male suspect shot out of the vehicle while the woman drove. The SUV stopped a quarter a mile later, as an officer returned fire.

    A device that looked like a bomb also flew out of the vehicle, Meredith Davis with the Bureau of Alcohol Tobacco and Firearms and Explosives told CNN affiliate KCAL/KCBS. The SUV was racing back toward San Bernardino, she said.

    Residents were stunned to hear the eruption of continuous gunfire. A barrage of bullets riddled the SUV's windshield.

    A third person who was caught running near the scene was detained, but police aren't sure whether he was connected to either shooting.

    Suspects dressed for assault

    San Bernardino Police Chief Jarrod Burguan didn't say how old the suspects were or physically describe them in detail. He told reporters they were armed with assault-style rifles and handguns.

    A law enforcement official told CNN the rifles were AR-15s or similar style weapons.

    The man and the woman were dressed in what Burquan said was "assault-style clothing," describing it as "dark, kind of tactical gear."

    He wouldn't say if he knew if they were related.

    Witnessed text frightened messages

    Hours after the shooting, the Inland Regional Center convention center was still an active scene. The bomb squad was working to determine whether they need to blow up two suspicious devices, one of which appeared to be a pipe bomb.

    Survivors of the mass shooting told of hiding in offices, bathrooms and closets, texting their loved ones that they feared they were next to be shot.

    In the moments after the initial bloodbath, SWAT teams had scoured the facility, unsure whether the shooters were still there and looking for people hiding from the horror.

    Marcos Aguilera received a text from his wife who works at the Inland Regional Center.

    "She heard the shots and crying," he said. The situation became confusing when the fire alarm went off.

    "Everyone was confused," he said, relating his wife's account.

    A SWAT team eventually rescued his wife and two other co-workers. "When she exited the building, she said there were multiple bodies on the floor," Aguilera told CNN.

    The center's executive director, Lavinia Johnson, told CNN that she believed the county's Department of Public Health was having a holiday party.

    Johnson said the fire alarm went off in her building, and people began to evacuate but then the order came to stay in place.

    Later police came and took people out of their offices, marching them into the parking lot with their hands in the air.

    San Bernardino is a city of just over 200,000 people 60 miles east of Los Angeles.

    0 0

    Police are searching for a missing 76-year-old man with dementia in West Miami.

    Luis Uribe was last seen at his home along Southwest 13th Street and Tropical Way at 9 p.m. Tuesday. Uribe's son reported him missing to police.

    According to police, Uribe took his old work van, a 1994 White Chevy and left his home. The license plate is T31-4AJ.

    The man's son said his father went to a liquor store, a BJ's Wholesale Club, a Walgreens and a BP gas station. The two were speaking on his cellphone before his father left it at the gas station along southwest 57th avenue and 13th street.

    Anyone who may have seen Uribe is asked to call police.

    Follow Local 10 News on Twitter @WPLGLocal10

    0 0

    A former Miami police officer has been sentenced to 10 years in prison for being part of a drug smuggling ring.

    Ralph Mata was sentenced Wednesday in federal court in Newark.

    Mata was arrested last year. Prosecutors say the former Miami-Dade police lieutenant was nicknamed the "Milk Man" and helped drug traffickers bypass security at airports in New York and Miami.

    Prosecutors allege he provided protection, sensitive law enforcement information and security for Dominican Republic drug dealers. They said Mata even planned a hit on a rival gang that was never executed.

    According to the criminal complaint, Mata often traveled to New Jersey and the Dominican Republic to facilitate his drug dealer accomplices.

    Mata pleaded guilty in March to aiding and abetting a narcotics conspiracy and conspiring to distribute cocaine. He initially faced a potential life sentence, but under a plea agreement faced between 9 and 11 years.

    0 0

    Broward County sheriff's deputies have arrested a Pompano Beach pet shop owner more than a year after an investigation into the conditions of the pets at her store.

    Nancy Burgess, 64, was arrested Tuesday on multiple charges, including animal cruelty and confining an animal without food or water.

    According to a Broward Sheriff's Office arrest report, a deputy visited Burgess' shop, Dogarrific, at 2870 NE 17th Ave. and said the odor of urine and feces was so strong that he could not breathe and his eyes were burning.

    A Pompano Beach animal control officer was called to the business, and found 38 puppies, dogs and cats inside the shop.

    According to the arrest report, the dogs were confined in their own waste and urine, and feces was spread across the floors and up the walls of the business.

    The officer reported that the dogs' coats were stained by urine and feces, and said the animals had no food or water in their cages.

    Based on an investigation conducted by the deputy and animal control officer, authorities found that Burgess failed to provide the animals with proper medical care and treatment.

    All of the animals were released to South Florida rescue organizations except one.

    Burgess is being held in jail in lieu of a $10,000 bond. A Broward County judge also ordered her not to handle or care for animals once she is released.

    Follow Local 10 News on Twitter @WPLGLocal10


    0 0

    A Social Security office in Pembroke Pines was evacuated Wednesday morning as a precaution after someone called in a bomb threat.

    Police said officials at the office at 500 N. Hiatus Rd. believed the person who made the threat to have a mental disability and that he may not have not have realized the threat was credible.

    Angel Rodriguez Solano was later arrested on a charge of falsely reporting a bomb. Police said he threatened to blow up the building because they owed him $2,200.

    The investigation is ongoing.

    Follow Local 10 News on Twitter @WPLGLocal10

    0 0

    Police are investigating after a woman was shot and killed in Miami's Allapattah neighborhood Tuesday night.

    Police said the 19-year-old woman was shot between 1:30 and 2 a.m. while she was leaving a friend's apartment at 3030 NW 21st Ave.

    Residents in the area identified her as Alexus Douglas. They told Local 10 News crime specialist John Turchin that the woman goes by the name Vic, and does not live in the area.

    A man who lives across the street from where Douglas was shot said he knew the woman and doesn't know why anyone would target her.

    "It was a very loud sound," he said. "I just heard seven shots, and it was just crazy that they just shot her and she wasn't even a bad person. I don't like it, but hopefully I'll move out of this neighborhood so I can be safe and so nobody can do that to me."

    Police said Douglas was shot multiple times and was taken to Jackson Memorial Hospital's Ryder Trauma Center where she was pronounced dead.

    Officers are going door to door in the area to hopefully get a description of the gunmen. They said it's unclear whether the shooters were in a car or on foot.

    Anyone with information about the shooting is asked to call police or Miami-Dade Crime Stoppers at 305-471-TIPS.

    Follow Local 10 News on Twitter @WPLGLocal10

older | 1 | .... | 602 | 603 | (Page 604) | 605 | 606 | 607 | newer