Are you the publisher? Claim or contact us about this channel

Embed this content in your HTML


Report adult content:

click to rate:

Account: (login)

More Channels


Channel Catalog

older | 1 | .... | 523 | 524 | (Page 525) | 526 | 527 | .... | 607 | newer

    0 0

    At least six bicyclists were hurt after one rider hit a dead baby alligator that was blocking a road, according to the Broward Sheriff's Office.

    It happened about 7 a.m. Saturday on State Road 84 in Weston.

    The group of 30 bicyclists was heading west on State Road 84 when a rider hit the carcass of an alligator on the side of the road. A witness told Local 10 News the biker lost control and caused a chain reaction.

    The witness told Local 10 News the bicyclists were traveling about 28 mph.

    Two people were treated at the crash scene and four others were taken to local hospitals. One victim was seriously hurt and was taken to Broward Health Medical Center.

    Follow Local 10 News on Twitter @WPLGLocal10

    0 0

    Police are investigating the deaths of four people inside a Greenacres home Saturday night.

    All four victims were shot to death, according to Greenacres police.

    Police said two of the victims are women and one other victim is a 2-year-old child. Police have not released the gender or age of the fourth victim.

    According to neighbors, all of the victims are related.

    Greenacres is located in Palm Beach County.

    Follow Local 10 News on Twitter @WPLGLocal10

    0 0

    A man is dead after being shot at a Hialeah restaurant early Saturday morning, police said.

    Family members said Andres Lezcano, 78, was gunned down as he was opening up La Fortuna Restaurant, the cafe he owned and operated since 1992.

    "He loved the restaurant, he loved the people, the employees, they were like family for him," said Isidro Lezcano, Andres Lezcano's son.

    Hialeah police were called to the restaurant at 1925 West 76th St. Isidro Lezcano said police called him out to the restaurant early Saturday morning, too. A restaurant employee told him what happened.

    "Three young men went through a window and pointed a gun at everybody inside," Isidro Lezcano said. "I understand my father was at the counter and tried to reach for his weapon, and in the process he got shot."

    Police have not confirmed exactly what happened at the restaurant or how many people may have been involved.

    Isidro Lezcano said his father was a hard worker who lived his life around the restaurant. Regular customers knew it, too.

    "They worked in the restaurant for a long time. They started in 1992. It was a daily thing for him to start at 5 a.m. to 9 p.m. at night," said Isidro Lezcano. "He was a great guy."

    The cafe became Andres Lezcano's second home. The name of his restaurant had family ties.

    "La Fortuna was the place in Cuba where my father was born," Isidro Lezcano said. "A lot of people called it La Cachita because my mother's name is Caridad."

    Andres Lezcano leaves behind a wife, grown children and two grandkids. As police continue their search for the shooters, the family has a message for investigators.

    "The only reason to do this interview is because I hope the Police Department gets the killers," Isidro Lezcano said.

    Anyone with information for police can call Crime Stoppers anonymously at 305-471-TIPS.

    Follow Liane Morejon on Twitter @LianeMorejonTV

    Follow Local 10 News on Twitter @WPLGLocal10

    0 0
  • 06/28/15--11:20: Notable deaths of 2015
  • Here is a list of some of the notable public figures, athletes, musicians, artists and actors we've lost in 2015.

    0 0

    Miami Marlins slugger Giancarlo Stanton underwent hand surgery on Sunday.

    Manager Dan Jennings said the surgery was a success.

    Stanton broke a bone in his left hand on Friday night.

    Jennings said the recovery time for Stanton is expected to be 4-6 weeks.

    Stanton will miss the All-Star Game and Home Run Derby.

    Stanton was the major league leader in home runs and RBI when he got hurt.

    Follow Local 10 Sports on Twitter @Local10Sports

    0 0

    It is the street food of Trinidad and Tobago: doubles, a delicious fast food created by the islands' East Indian descendants. It's a curbside culinary experience.

    Miami resident and Trinidad and Tobago native Badru Deen said his family created it. He said how they created them in his book "Out of the Double Kitchen."

    "It's a curry chickpea sandwich made up of two fried flatbreads called baras with the curry chickpeas. It is a delicious vegan meal," Deen said.

    Deen grew up watching his parents wake up before dawn to prepare then sell doubles by bicycle in the streets. He said eventually sales from his parents' curry sandwich took them out of abject poverty.

    "They saw in a grain of chickpeas the seed of their destiny," said Deen.

    While doubles is a staple of Trinidad and Tobago's street food culture, it has now migrated with its people all over the world.

    In South Florida, two popular restaurants include Joy's Roti Shop in Lauderhill and LC's Roti Shop in Miami Gardens.

    "A lot of people come in here looking for doubles," said LC.

    LC has been frying up baras, as well as making her other Indo Trinidadian delights for over 30 years. LC said the key to frying up the perfect bara is to use hot oil.

    The dough made with Indian spices is then filled with the curry chick peas and is also well-seasoned.

    The double breads, or double baras, gives it the name doubles.

    Deen said his parents would have been proud to see the international phenomenon it has become.

    "I was compelled to write this story because my parents were illiterate. The history would have been lost if this book was not written," said Deen.

    Follow Neki Mohan on Twitter @NekiMohan

    Follow Local 10 News on Twitter @WPLGLocal10

    0 0
  • 06/28/15--09:27: Trump giving up 'Apprentice'
  • Don't expect a new season this fall: Donald Trump is giving up "The Apprentice" so that he can run for president.

    The Republican real estate mogul cited the popular reality show as evidence that he "gave up hundreds of millions of dollars in deals and potential, you know, things that I do," in an interview aired Sunday with CNN's Jake Tapper on "State of the Union."

    "In all fairness, I don't want it to sounds trivial, NBC renewed 'The Apprentice,' because we had a great season last season. And they would love me not to be doing this, I will tell you right now," Trump said.

    "I mean the top people come to my office and they said, 'Please do this,'" he boasted of NBC executives, adding that because of his presidential run, "essentially, legally, I'm not allowed to do it."

    Running for president is affecting Trump's bottom line in other ways, as well.

    Univision canceled its broadcast of Miss USA and Miss Universe pageants, which Trump partially owns, over his controversial remarks about Mexicans in his campaign announcement speech.

    "They're bringing drugs, they're bringing crime, they're rapists," he said at the time. "And some, I assume, are good people."

    Trump has said he plans to sue Univision over its move.

    0 0

    Now Kanye West knows how it feels to get upstaged, even if just for a few seconds.

    A heckler invaded the stage Saturday night during West's opening song at Glastonbury Festival.

    It's no secret that more than a few people were unhappy with the decision to make the American rapper the headlining act of the five-day British music festival. At least 15,000 signed a petition to cancel his slot.

    When the petition went nowhere, British comedian Lee Nelson -- whose real name is Simon Brodkin -- took matters into his own hands. Wearing a shirt that said "Lee-Zus," a parody of West's nickname and self-titled album "Yeezus," Nelson bounced across stage with a working microphone in hand.

    He made it a few seconds before a guard pulled him offstage. West reportedly tried to continue before halting "Black Skinhead" and restarting, going on to perform a 30-song set.

    Nelson claimed credit for the stunt on Twitter, boasting that he "Kanye'd Kanye," a reference to all the times West has interrupted someone onstage -- specifically, that time he interrupted Taylor Swift at the Video Music Awards.

    "Some people were saying Kanye shouldn't headline Glastonbury so I thought I'd give him a hand," Nelson tweeted. "I Kanye'd Kanye. That was for you @taylorswift13."

    High-profile pranks are Nelson's thing. He made his way into a photograph with England's football team before last year's World Cup in Brazil.

    0 0

    A "Fantasy 5" player in South Florida has selected all five winning numbers to take home a jackpot of $126,490.38.

    The Florida Lottery said Sunday that the winning ticket was purchased in Hialeah. A winning ticket was also purchased in Deltona.

    A total of 403 tickets matching four numbers won $101 each.

    Another 12,037 tickets matching three numbers won $9 each and 114,939 tickets won a Quick Pick ticket for picking two numbers.

    The numbers drawn Saturday night were 02-10-11-17-34.

    Follow Local 10 News on Twitter @WPLGLocal10

    0 0

    An unmanned SpaceX rocket carrying supplies to the International Space Station broke apart Sunday shortly after liftoff. It was a severe blow to NASA, the third cargo mission to fail in eight months.

    The accident happened about 2½ minutes into the flight from Cape Canaveral, Florida. A billowing white cloud emerged in the sky, growing bigger and bigger, then fiery plumes shot out. Pieces of the rocket could be seen falling into the Atlantic like a fireworks display gone wrong.

    More than 5,200 pounds of space station cargo were on board, including the first docking port designed for future commercial crew capsules, a new spacesuit and a water filtration system.

    NASA officials said they have enough supplies for the three-person crew on board the station to last till October and still plan to send three more crewmembers up in a late July launch. Normally, NASA likes to have a six-month cushion of food and water, but is now down to four months.

    "We're good from a food and water standpoint," NASA's top spaceflight official, William Gerstenmaier said at a press conference.

    This puts added pressure on another resupply launch scheduled for Friday by Russia, it's first attempt since losing a supply capsule in April.

    SpaceX's Falcon 9 rocket shattered while traveling at 2,900 mph, about 27 miles up. Everything seemed to be going well until the rocket went supersonic.

    "We appear to have had a launch vehicle failure," announced NASA commentator George Diller. Data stopped flowing from the Falcon 9 rocket around 2 minutes and 19 seconds, he said.

    SpaceX founder and chief executive Elon Musk later said that the pressure got too high in the liquid-oxygen tank of the rocket's upper stage.

    "That's all we can say with confidence right now," Musk said via Twitter.

    The private company is in charge of the accident investigation, with oversight from the Federal Aviation Administration, which licensed the flight.

    The Dragon capsule, which is designed to eventually carry people, still sent signals to the ground after the rocket broke apart, said SpaceX President Gwynne Shotwell. Had astronauts been on board, a still-being tested abort system, would have whisked them away to safety in such a mishap, she said.

    SpaceX hopes to launch astronauts from U.S. soil again aboard the Falcon-Dragon combination in December 2017. They still can make that target, Shotwell said. Now NASA buys seats from Russia to get astronauts to the orbiting lab.

    Shotwell assured reporters that the California-based company will fix the problem — "and get back to flight."

    Losing this shipment — which included replacements for items lost in the two earlier failed supply flights — was a huge setback for NASA.

    "This is a blow to us," Gerstenmaier said, citing the docking port, a spacesuit and considerable scientific research that had been on board. He said there was nothing common among the three accidents, "other than it's space and it's difficult to go fly."

    In April, a Russian cargo ship spun out of control and burned up upon re-entry. And last October, an Orbital Sciences Corp. capsule was destroyed in a launch accident in Virginia. Orbital Sciences and SpaceX have NASA contracts to ship cargo.

    "Three failures on three different vehicles is unusual, but it would be even more worrisome if we had only one means of access," former NASA associate administrator Scott Pace wrote in an email to The Associated Press.

    In addition to Friday's scheduled Russian launch, Orbital Sciences may be able to launch their supply ship at the end of this year, using another company's rocket. And a Japanese resupply ship is scheduled for August, Gerstenmaier said.

    The seven previous SpaceX supply runs, dating back to 2012, had gone exceedingly well.

    The three space station residents were watching the launch live from orbit, including astronaut Scott Kelly.

    "Sadly failed," Kelly said via Twitter. "Space is hard."

    NASA Administrator Charles Bolden and other officials stressed that the space station crew is in no immediate trouble. NASA space station program manager Mike Suffredini said the water filtration system is nearing the point where it can't function much longer, but there is still enough stored water to make it to October or so.

    Gerstenmaier said the loss shouldn't postpone plans to send three more men to join the crew on July 22, a flight already delayed two months.

    Along with SpaceX, Boeing is also developing crew capsules for NASA. Boeing designed the new docking system that was lost on the SpaceX flight, but a second version is still available to send up, officials said.

    Shotwell said the first stage of the rocket seemed to work well. The company had planned to try to land the discarded booster on an ocean platform.

    Kelly's identical twin, Mark, a former space shuttle commander who is taking part in medical studies on the ground, pointed out that SpaceX, until now, had "a great record" with its Falcon 9 rockets.

    "These things happen," he said in a tweet. "They will figure this out."

    Launch spectators lining the beaches near Cape Canaveral were confused, at first, by the unexpected plumes in the sky.

    "It looked fine until it was almost out of sight. And then, a poof of smoke," said Whitney Jackson of Palm Beach, Florida, watching with her family. "Everyone was cheering and clapping. No one knew it meant failure."

    The Air Force later warned people along the Florida coast not to handle any debris washing ashore.

    Sunday was Musk's 44th birthday. The SpaceX founder also runs his electric car company, Tesla.

    "Yeah, not the best birthday," Musk tweeted.


    AP Science Writer Seth Borenstein in Washington and reporter Alex Sanz in Atlanta contributed to this report.

    0 0

    A Florida man has been charged with driving under the influence after his truck overturned a patrol car driven by Volusia County Sherriff's deputy.

    The Florida Highway Patrol said Deputy Paul Mele, Jr. had his sirens activated and a green light while following behind another patrol car through an intersection Saturday afternoon.

    That's when Edward Flowers, 62, attempted to make a turn and made contact with Mele's car.

    After the collision, the 26-year-old deputy's car overturned. He was treated for minor injuries at nearby Halifax Medical Center.

    Edwards was arrested for DUI and failure to yield to an emergency vehicle. He has since posted bond and been released. It's not known if he has an attorney.

    0 0

    Authorities say a lightning strike has killed a Florida woman and injured several others who were taking shelter under a tree in the Mogollon Rim in northern Arizona.

    The Coconino County Sheriff's Office said Christine Garcia, 24, of Orlando, was found unresponsive Saturday afternoon.

    Sheriff's spokesman Gerry Blair said crews received a call around 4:20 p.m. reporting a female hiker who wasn't breathing.

    It took emergency crews some time to reach the group's remote location.

    Upon their arrival, Garcia was pronounced dead.

    Blair said the group was under a pine tree when lightning hit, knocking most of them to the ground.

    One critically injured man was flown to a hospital. Three others were also hospitalized. Their conditions are unknown.

    Blair said three others refused medical transport.

    0 0

    Detectives are investigating after a man killed a woman at a hotel near Fort Lauderdale and then called 911 to report the crime, deputies said.

    The woman in her 50s was found dead Sunday morning at the Rashelle Hotel on Northwest 27th Avenue.

    Reginald Kindle, 52, called 911 at 6:19 a.m. and claimed that he "killed his female companion," BSO spokeswoman Keyla Concepcion said.

    Kindle had been in a relationship with the woman. Deputies said both had been staying in a room at the Rashelle Hotel for about a month.

    According to Kindle, he killed his girlfriend around 2 a.m. Saturday at the hotel after the two had an argument. Deputies said he tried to kill himself, but instead reported the incident Sunday to the Broward Sheriff's Office.

    Deputies took Kindle into custody without incident, BSO said.

    Detectives have not revealed how the woman died.

    Follow Andrew Perez on Twitter @PerezLocal10

    Follow Local 10 News on Twitter @WPLGLocal10

    0 0

    After a massive, more-than-three-week manhunt for David Sweat, the escaped murderer is back where he started -- in custody.

    Authorities said a New York State Police sergeant -- identified as Jay Cook -- spotted Sweat, and after Sweat ran, the sergeant gave chase.

    "At some point, running across a field, he realized that Sweat was going to make it to a tree line, and possibly could have disappeared, and he fired two shots," New York State Police Superintendent Joseph A. D'Amico told reporters.

    Sweat, who was unarmed, was hit twice in the torso.

    A photo exclusively obtained by CNN shows Sweat in custody moments after his capture. He appears bloodied and was wearing a camouflage outfit, not prison garb.

    He was taken into custody in the town of Constable, in upstate New York, very close to the Canadian border.

    "I can only assume he was going for the border, that he was that close," D'Amico said.

    Sweat was captured about 16 miles north of the location where fellow escapee Richard Matt was killed last week. The officer was alone when he shot Sweat.

    Sweat was transported to the Alice Hyde Medical Center in Malone, an officer at the hospital told CNN. He was later moved to Albany Medical Center, where he was listed in critical condition, according to Dennis McKenna, medical director there.

    Emergency, trauma, intensive care, radiology and vascular surgery specialists are involved in his care, McKenna said.

    No law enforcement officers were injured during Sweat's apprehension.

    "The nightmare is finally over," said New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo. "We wish it didn't happen in the first place. But if you have to have it happen, this is how you want it to end."

    The break

    The arrest wraps up the statewide search for Sweat and his prison-break partner, Matt. Matt was shot dead Friday.

    Sweat was imprisoned at the Clinton Correctional Facility for shooting dead an officer who pursued him after a robbery he committed.

    Behind bars, Sweat and Matt cozied up to a prison tailor and a guard who allegedly brought them tools, which they used to cut their way through a labyrinth of multiple barriers and underground passageways. They emerged to freedom through a manhole in the middle of a street.

    Guards discovered them missing on June 6, during a routine bed check.

    Law enforcement experts stressed Sunday that it's crucial Sweat survive so that officials can learn exactly how he and Matt escaped, and who helped them.

    "Now that we have Mr. Sweat, it gives us the opportunity to have some more questions and provide more facts on the overall situation," Cuomo said. "Anyone who we find who was culpable and guilty of cooperating in the escape will be fully prosecuted."

    D'Amico told reporters that investigators haven't yet interviewed Sweat, but that they hope to soon.

    Investigators have questioned guards at the Clinton Correctional Facility about what conversations they had with the escapees about life outside the prison, according to a law enforcement official.

    They believe Sweat and Matt were gathering information for almost a year about hunting cabins and the fields around the prison to help them navigate the terrain.

    It's believed their conversations with the guards might have given the escapees some knowledge of how to get around, the official said.

    The search

    Earlier Sunday, about 1,300 federal, state and local law enforcement officers were searching vehicles at roadblocks and scouring dense woods in upstate New York for Sweat.

    Since he and Matt broke out of the maximum security prison in Dannemora together -- and appeared to stick together on their flight from the law -- authorities were hopeful they could be right on Sweat's heels after encountering Matt.

    Searchers had at times followed two sets of footprints, but when they gunned Matt down one day after his 49th birthday, there was no sign of Sweat nearby.

    So, on all-terrain vehicles and in helicopters, they continued looking for the man who eluded them for three weeks, using infrared vision devices to peer through the night.

    D'Amico admitted that authorities had a hard time tracking the fugitives and offered a possible explanation: pepper.

    "We believe that possibly these two males were using pepper to throw the scent off of the dogs that were tracking them," he said.

    The search Sunday was focused on an area along New York's State Route 30 between County Route 41 in the town of Malone and County Route 26 in the town of Duane.

    'Thank God!'

    Audra Buchanan of Constable said she was stunned to hear recently that Sweat could be near her home.

    "We were so nervous," she said. "We've had our housed locked down."

    When she saw on CNN that Sweat had been shot and was in custody, she said she felt "an incredible sigh of relief."

    When she heard sirens and saw ambulances fly by her home, she thought, "Oh my God, thank God!" she told CNN's Suzanne Malveaux.

    Her 9-year-old daughter has been begging to go outside and play for weeks, and Buchanan said she's glad she can now let her.

    Sweat's mother described a similar feeling of relief. Pamela Sweat spoke to Time Warner Cable News after her son was captured.

    "We started crying because (he) wasn't killed," she said.

    0 0

    Find registered sex offenders in your neighborhood.

    0 0
  • 06/29/15--13:31: Mugshots
  • See the latest mugshots in Broward and Miami-Dade counties.

    0 0

    A woman claims she was acting in self-defense when she shot and killed a man who was fighting with her brother outside a Southwest Miami-Dade strip club last year.

    Kimberly Matthews attended a stand-your-ground hearing Monday.

    "After asking everyone to get back, I seen one of the guys go in his pocket. I automatically felt threatened," Matthews said in court.

    Police said Matthews fatally shot Terrence Henderson, 25, outside The Office Gentleman's Club April 20, 2014.

    Surveillance video showed Matthew's brother, Colin, who is a local rapper, performing onstage shortly before the fight in the club's parking lot.

    Her brother spoke to the judge Monday morning, saying that some of his acquaintances, whom he had loaned money to, came into the club and he believed they were looking for trouble.

    The brother admitted to participating in the brawl outside the club, but said he was defending himself, and his sister, who was armed with a gun, was doing the same.

    "There were people swarming us, and I just swung again to try to them up off of us," Colin Matthews said.

    "She has a concealed weapons permit and she did what she had to do," said Matthews' attorney, Michael Grieco. "I think, looking back on it, she would probably do it again."

    The prosecutor claims the brother's statements after the shooting show that the incident was not self-defense.

    "You don't remember saying to your sister, 'Why did you shoot him? I had him,'" said prosecutor Suzanne Von Paulus.

    "No," said Colin Matthews.

    Terrance Henderson's brother, Tracy Henderson also wasn't convinced that the shooting was self defense.

    "She didn't have anything to do with it," said Tracy Henderson. "I don't think it was self defense."

    If the judge believes the stand-your-ground defense applies in Matthews' case, she will be a free woman. If not, she will likely go to trial for murder.

    Follow Local 10 News on Twitter @WPLGLocal10

    0 0

    It was a Wednesday afternoon, during rush-hour traffic in Miami.

    A Florida Highway Patrol trooper said Latin superstar Enrique Iglesias was behind the wheel of a white Cadillac SUV when he failed to slow down for an emergency vehicle. 

    Iglesias, the trooper said, was on the northbound express lanes of Interstate 95 near Northwest 62nd Street. And he was was two days away from celebrating his 40th birthday in Chiapas, Mexico.

    "No regrets, no apologies, no explanations," Iglesias said on a tweet he shared about five hours before the FHP incident.

    During the traffic stop, Iglesias switched seats with Abel Tabuyo, the trooper said. Tabuyo, who is Iglesias tour manager, admitted to having switched seats, but said he didn't know why, the trooper said.

    The FHP trooper handcuffed both of them, accused them of obstructing without violence and issued them notices to appear in court. They were free to go at a nearby park-and-ride lot.

    Iglesias has three traffic citations pending: Violation of traffic control device,  Driving with a license that expired more than six months ago, and driving while a license was suspended.

    Iglesias could not catch a break during his birthday month. He also injured his hand 24 days after the handcuffs.

    He was grabbing a drone on stage when he suffered deep cuts during a May 30 concert in Tijuana, Mexico. He was recovering from surgery and was expected to be at a show Friday in Mexico City.

    Follow reporter Andrea Torres on Twitter @MiamiCrime

    0 0

    A Fort Lauderdale police officer was suspended earlier this month for allegedly posting racist material to his Facebook account.

    In a letter to Officer Jeffrey Feldewert, dated June 11, the department notified him that, "effective immediately, your leave with pay will be changed to suspension with pay for 20 days, and your dismissal from city service will be effective at the close of business on July 10, 2015."

    The letter referenced a comment from Dec. 18, 2014, in which Feldewert responded to a post about three African-Americans involved in a bar fight. Felderwert wrote "Typical Hoodrat Behavior," accompanied with a photo of a black man being arrested by white police officers.

    The photo also included the caption, "Black People. Because without them the evening news wouldn't be as much fun to watch."

    Another commenter noticed that Feldewert was a police officer and posted, "I don't know you, but I just want to say that you seem to be a disgusting and sad individual. Based on your picture/comment, I hope you are not a cop as well, because you seem to have a strong opinion about an entire race, which I can only imagine clouds you judgement. SAD!"

    The police department also criticized the officer's profile picture of a skull with the Fort Lauderdale Police Department's badge and the words, "savage hunter," underneath, which the department said "reflects a negative image of our agency."

    Feldewert's termination will be effective July 10.

    Follow Local 10 News on Twitter @WPLGLocal10

    0 0

    Miami Heat star Dwyane Wade will forego his option with the team and become a free agent.

    Wade's decision was initially reported by ESPN and later confirmed by his agent to multiple sources.

    That means Wade, who was scheduled to earn $16.1 million next season, could be signed by another team when free agency starts Wednesday.

    Wade, 33, was selected fifth overall in the 2003 NBA Draft out of Marquette and helped the Heat win three NBA championships, but his future with the team is in question after contract negotiations reached an impasse last month.

    Among the teams that could pursue Wade is the Los Angeles Lakers. According to a Sports Illustrated report, Wade and the Lakers have a mutual interest.

    The 2006 NBA Finals most valuable player has spent all 12 seasons in Miami.

    Follow Local 10 Sports on Twitter @Local10Sports

older | 1 | .... | 523 | 524 | (Page 525) | 526 | 527 | .... | 607 | newer