Are you the publisher? Claim or contact us about this channel

Embed this content in your HTML


Report adult content:

click to rate:

Account: (login)

More Channels


Channel Catalog

older | 1 | .... | 576 | 577 | (Page 578) | 579 | 580 | .... | 607 | newer

    0 0

    Police are investigating after a blind woman stabbed a man who broke into her home and demanded money before taking off.

    Officers responded at 6:45 p.m. Friday to the 3100 block of Northwest 15th Street after learning that a woman had been beaten and robbed.

    Miami police said the woman was in her home alone, chopping food for dinner with the front door open, when a man walked into the home and demanded money and jewelry.

    The woman, in fear, gave the burglar money from inside her purse, but as she turned away to give him the rest of her belongings, he kicked her Chihuahua. That's when she grabbed her knife and stabbed the man, police said.

    The robber struck the woman over the head and a struggle ensued. Police said the woman dropped to the ground and lost consciousness. The man took off with the money.

    Miami police said they received the call once the woman regained consciousness. Detectives believe the call was received an hour after the incident happened.

    The woman was treated and released at the scene by Miami Fire Rescue for minor bumps and bruises, police said. Local 10 News has learned that the woman is blind.

    The robber is described by Miami police as a possible Hispanic man.

    Police are checking cameras from nearby homes for possible surveillance video.

    Follow Amy Viteri on Twitter @TVAmyViteri

    Follow Local 10 News on Twitter @WPLGLocal10

    0 0

    A Swiss hotel says their new $2,000 a night "Space Suite" is designed to appeal to "a guest who is art loving, a collector, a visitor of Art Basel or someone who would like to have an overall art experience."

    0 0

    The U.S. National Hurricane Center in Miami said Hurricane Joaquin strengthened again Saturday into a Category 4 storm.

    Joaquin weakened to a Category 3 hurricane Friday, but was upgraded Saturday, according to the National Hurricane Center in Miami.

    As of Saturday night, Joaquin was packing winds of 130 mph and was moving northeast at 20 mph. It was located 385 miles southwest of Bermuda.

    [RELATED: Subscribe for weather alerts | Hurricane Survival Guide | Track storms]

    Local 10 News meteorologist Julie Durda said the hurricane was no longer forecast to impact the U.S.

    Forecasters said Joaquin's threat to the U.S. East Coast was fading as new forecasts showed it likely to curve out into the Atlantic while moving north and weakening in coming days.

    But the slow-moving storm continued to batter parts of the Bahamas, cutting communication to several islands, most of them lightly populated. There had been no reports of fatalities or injuries, said Capt. Stephen Russell, the director of the Bahamas National Emergency Management Agency.

    Residents reached by relatives said they were "trapped in their homes, and reported feeling as if their structures were caving in," Russell said. "It's too dangerous to go outside because the flood waters are so high, so we ask that persons stay inside and try to go into the most secure place of their home."

    Forecasters said the center of Joaquin is expected to pass near Bermuda late Sunday or Sunday night.

    Follow Local 10 News on Twitter @WPLGLocal10

    0 0

    The FBI released photos early Saturday morning of a man believed to be responsible for two Coral Springs bank robberies.

    The man, whose face is shielded by a Miami Hurricanes baseball cap, demanded cash from a teller at the TD Bank Branch at 4697 North State Road 7 just after 7 p.m. Friday. 

    There were other customers in the branch at the time, but no one was hurt. 

    Investigators believe he is the same man responsible for the robbery of a BB&T branch the day before. 

    Anyone with information is urged to call the FBI at 754-703-2000 or Broward County Crimestoppers at 954-493-TIPS.

    Follow Local 10 News on Twitter @WPLGLocal10

    0 0

    Fourteen people were displaced by a fire that sparked inside a Lauderhill duplex early Saturday morning.

    According to Capt. Jerry Gonzalez of Lauderhill Fire Rescue, crews were called to the home in the 1900 block of Northwest 60th Avenue around 5:30 a.m.

    A woman had just returned home when she noticed smoke and flames in the kitchen. She managed to wake up the other residents and get everyone to safety. 

    "This could've been a whole lot worse if she hadn't shown up at that moment when she did," Gonzalez said.

    The home did not have any working smoke detectors.

    Twelve people lived inside one of the rental units. The Red Cross is assisting all of them, as well as the two who lived in the other part of the home.

    Follow Local 10 News on Twitter @WPLGLocal10

    0 0

    Chad Kelly is probably going to feel this one for a few days.

    No. 3 Mississippi might have to deal with it considerably longer.

    Kelly was hit, hurried and harassed early and often in a 38-10 loss at 25th-ranked Florida on Saturday night.

    Kelly finished 26 of 40 passing for 259 yards, with four sacks, two fumbles and an interception. He threw a touchdown pass with 4:04 remaining, but it was too little too late for the Rebels (4-1, 2-1 Southeastern Conference.)

    "Being the leader of the offense, it starts with me," Kelly said. "I've just got to do a better job for our team. Losing is the worst feeling ever."

    Ole Miss entered the game looking to back up a huge win at Alabama two weeks ago. The Rebels enjoyed a plus-five advantage in turnovers in that one.

    Against Florida, they were on the opposite end.

    The Rebels turned the ball over four times, beginning with running back Jaylen Walton's game-changing fumble in the first quarter.

    The Gators (5-0, 3-0) scored five plays later to take a 13-0 lead. It got worse from there, with Will Grier finishing with four touchdown passes in the first half as Florida raced to a 25-0 lead.

    "They beat us in every facet of the game," Ole Miss coach Hugh Freeze said. "We didn't play with the intensity that we needed to and we didn't take care of the football. We had a solid plan, but we didn't execute it."

    The Gators walked away with a signature win in coach Jim McElwain's first season in Gainesville.

    "You don't downplay it," McElwain said. "That was a good football team we beat. That was really a good football team, and our guys took it to them."

    Grier was one of more than 20 Florida players who battled a stomach virus during the week. Grier was feeling so ill Thursday and Friday that the Gators considered giving Treon Harris the nod. Grier made enough progress to start and was sharper than ever.

    The freshman completed 24 of 29 passes for 271 yards. He was poised in the pocket, precise with every throw and even closer to perfect than he was down the stretch against Tennessee last week.

    "He was really solid," Freeze said. "I hope we have a bunch get the flu next week. I think that's something we need to look into. They sure played extremely well with it. But I think Grier is a really good player. They had a good plan, used misdirection early on and slowed us down some. They played extremely well."

    Grier's start was the difference in Florida's latest victory. His impressive first half gave him six touchdown passes in a span of three quarters.

    With All-American Robert Nkemdiche draped all over him, Grier found Demarcus Robinson on a 36-yard score in the first quarter. He hooked up with Jake McGee for a 2-yard score a few minutes later, after Walton fumbled.

    Grier added two more touchdown passes in the second quarter, beating a third-down blitz with a quick slant to Brandon Powell. Powell slipped a tackle and outran two defenders down the sideline for a 77-yarder. Grier added a 15-yarder to Antonio Callaway with 20 seconds remaining in the half.

    Florida's offensive line, which was widely considered overmatched against Ole Miss' vaunted defensive front that features Nkemdiche, gave Grier enough time to make reads and deliver accurate passes.

    The unit opened up holes for Kelvin Taylor, who ran 27 times for 83 yards.

    "This is SEC football," Rebels rover Mike Hilton said. "If you don't come to play well, this will happen. We didn't come to play well and Florida did and that's what happened. But it's not devastating to us. We still have our dreams ahead of us. We're still in control of the SEC West. We've just got to win each game here on."

    Florida's defense, meanwhile, dominated the line of scrimmage.

    "I'm concerned for everything, that being one of them," Freeze said. "Chad Kelly was under a lot of pressure. But credit to them. We have to get our guys better prepared."

    Follow Local 10 News on Twitter @WPLGLocal10

    0 0

    A fierce Florida football feud is coming to Local 10.

    The ACC announced Monday that this Saturday’s showdown between the University of Miami and Florida State will be showcased in the national spotlight on ABC, as the two programs will square off for the 60th time Saturday night in Tallahassee.

    UM leads the overall series by a count of 31-28, but FSU has won the past five meetings. The 11th-ranked Seminoles are coming off a 24-16 win over Wake Forest, while the Hurricanes will look to bounce back after falling 34-23 against the University of Cincinnati.

    Tune into the one and only Local 10 Saturday night at 8 p.m. for this pivotal ACC matchup.

    0 0

    A Florida man has been arrested after authorities say he slashed two Long Island police officers as they tried to arrest him.

    Riverhead Town Police say Robert Alan Vescio was arrested shortly before 7 a.m. Saturday at the Hyatt Hotel in Riverhead.

    Authorities say officers were called because the 45-year-old wasn't a guest at the hotel and had been refusing to leave the lobby.

    When two officers approached him, they say Vescio threatened them. Officials say Vescio then allegedly pulled out a saw blade and slashed the two officers.

    The officers were hospitalized with minor injuries. Vescio, of Inglewood, Florida, was arrested on assault, obstruction and trespassing charges.

    It was not immediately clear Saturday whether he had an attorney who could comment on his behalf.

    0 0

    A new set of regulations that threaten to slow down South Florida's vibrant home sales market went into effect Saturday. 

    On October 3, a new form called the closing disclosure replaces the truth in lending and H.U.D. forms previously used. The closing disclosure form must be filled out three days before closing on a home; if anything on the form needs to be changed, the filing is delayed another three days.

    Another change is that Realtors, lenders and title companies will be communicating via an Internet portal so closing times will not be as precise. 

    "The days of 'OK, we are going to see you in the office at 11:30 for your closing' are probably over," said real estate attorney Joe Balocco. "It is going to be more like 'you are closing on the 30th, block out the day and we will call you when we have everything from the bank.'" 

    Realtors have been learning about the new rules in seminars for months, but they will still take some time to get used to. 

    "It is going to be a learning curve for all of us," said realtor Liz Caldwell. "My understanding is that cash transactions will not be effected by this. There is going to be a little bit of a mad rush trying to get a closing between now and December." 

    Services that usually are purchased just before a closing will have to be procured when a buyer puts in an offer.

    "They could potentially purchase services that if they cancel the deal as a result of inspections etcetera that they are not going to be using," said Balocco. 

    Follow Todd Tongen on Twitter @toddtongen

    Follow Local 10 News on Twitter @WPLGLocal10

    0 0

    Authorities are investigating after finding the body of a 45-year-old man along the shore of a barrier island in southwest Florida.

    Sarasota Sheriff's officials said Douglas G. Swimm's body was found Thursday along an isolated area between Siesta Key and Casey Key.

    It's unclear if foul play is suspected.

    No other details were released.

    0 0

    One person is being detained after a shooting in downtown Miami early Saturday morning.

    The victim was shot in the leg along Northwest 1st Avenue and 14th Street.

    According to Miami police, the shooting appears to have happened during an argument.

    A perimeter was established as police searched for the gun that was used.

    The victim was listed in stable condition at Jackson Memorial Hospital.

    Follow Local 10 News on Twitter@WPLGLocal10

    0 0

    Multiple people injured when a gas leak caused an explosion in the boiler room of a penthouse at a Sunny Isles Beach high-rise building are now recovering.

    There are still several safety concerns the city and contractors are working to resolve after a gas line explosion sent huge chunks of the high-rise into the air Friday. Crews worked to secure a large concrete slab on the side of the building, but the goal is to get a crane to remove it as soon as possible.

    Luciana Cardin and her family were trying to get their belongings out of the Monaco Beach Resort Saturday morning following an explosion Friday at the Chateau Beach residences next door in Sunny Isles Beach. The blast sent debris flying onto the neighboring resort, leading to an evacuation.

    "We were freaking out a little bit," Cardin said. "We don't have anything with us. We don't have money. We don't have documents. We don't have even clothes."

    Salomon Arougueti said he was out Friday when a gas line blew on the 34th floor of the Chateau Beach residence. The problem, Arougueti said, is some of that debris landed at his hotel next door, the Monaco Beach Resort. When he got back, the building was evacuated for safety reasons.

    Arougueti said he missed his 5 a.m. flight back to Argentina because he wasn't able to get escorted into his hotel room for his passport and heart medication until noon Saturday.

    Officials and contractors are trying to prevent any further damage to the Chateau property and everything around it.

    "Contractor has a crew up there securing loose concrete hanging off building," Clayton Parker said.

    For travelers like Arougueti, there are other challenges: flights back to Argentina are all full this weekend. He's now facing extra costs he feels could have been avoided.

    Mayor Bud Scholl said the fire marshal was escorting guests into the resort to get valuables. The big concern Saturday was trying to secure the large slab of concrete left hanging 34 floors above busy Collins Avenue.

    "The demolition crew wrapped cables around that large slab that's hanging around the building and welded the cables up into the infrastructure of the building to secure the slab," Scholl said.

    The city learned Saturday they would need a bigger crane than initially expected. Waiting for an 800-ton crane to arrive from out of state could take days. That means one northbound lane of Collins Avenue will stay closed.

    Everyone injured by the blast and debris is now recovering.

    "Both the gentlemen that were working on upper floors were injured (and) were actually released this morning, so the burns were not as severe as we originally thought. They were still serious burns because they were second-degree," said Scholl.

    The mayor said the firefighters and others injured were treated Friday night. A spokesperson for the Chateau told Local 10 News the unoccupied building was just weeks from completion, but now that timeline will be pushed back.

    A city building official told Local 10 News Saturday there is a lot of water damage inside and the state fire marshal's office, which visited Saturday, will be determining what led to the explosion.

    Follow Amy Viteri on Twitter @TVAmyViteri

    Follow Local 10 News on Twitter @WPLGLocal10

    0 0

    As the search continues for a cargo ship lost at sea after becoming caught in the path of Hurricane Joaquin, the U.S. Coast Guard said Saturday it found a life ring within a search area.

    Members of the Coast Guard 7th District were updated Saturday on the search for the El Faro and its 33 crew members. Aircrews were once again deployed to look for the 790-foot roll on, roll off ship at daybreak.

    "Today, we've had four aircraft, including two helicopters, in the air," Coast Guard Petty Officer David Schulein said.

    Commander briefed on missing ship search

    The ship left Jacksonville and was scheduled to arrive in San Juan, Puerto Rico on Friday morning. Early Thursday morning, crews aboard the El Faro reported the ship had lost propulsion and had taken on water, though it was contained.

    The ship was believed to have been near Crooked Island, Bahamas at the time it lost communication. As of early Saturday, all watches and warnings for the Bahamas and Turks and Caicos Islands had been discontinued.

    More than 850 square nautical miles were searched Friday, though hurricane force winds and high swells hampered the efforts. A HC-130 Hercules fixed-wing aircraft was deployed early Saturday to resume the search.

    A Coast Guard HC-130 search and rescue crew spotted a life ring in the water late Saturday belonging to the missing ship.

    The Coast Guard isn't searching alone. It is also getting help from the Navy and Air Force Hurricane Hunters.

    "Have some assistance from the U.S. Air Force yesterday. Their Hurricane Hunters were there specifically for the hurricane, were helping us gain communication with the El Faro," a Coast Guard official said.

    The ship is run by Tote Services. Its president, Phil Green, met with family members of the missing crew Friday at the Seafarers Union Hall in Jacksonville.

    "There's a strong sense of family, of closeness," Green said.

    Some family members were visibly distraught. Others Saturday night were not giving up hope.

    "We all need prayers. We're waiting. Everybody's waiting. That's all you can do," said Terry Davis, wife of a missing crew member. "Mother Nature does what Mother Nature does, and if you can't get in there to find them, then you can't get in there to find them."

    Follow Liane Morejon on Twitter @LianeMorejonTV

    Follow Local 10 News on Twitter @WPLGLocal10

    0 0
  • 10/13/15--16:00: Pets available for adoption
  • Snickers is waiting at the Humane Society of Broward County, along with all the other fabulous friends in this slideshow looking for a family to call their own.

    0 0

    Seven students fell ill Tuesday after ingesting some kind of substance at Paul W. Bell Middle School in west Miami-Dade County.

    A Miami-Dade County Public Schools representative said a student at the school gave the substance to the other students.

    MDCPS spokesman John Shuster said all seven students were taken to nearby hospitals. Sky 10 was above the scene about 2:45 p.m. as a boy was placed into a ambulance.

    Shuster said all of the students were conscious and alert. He said the school district does not know what the students ingested.

    "They say they were taking alcohol with some pills called Xanax," student Lenia Cruz told Local 10 News reporter Glenna Milberg.

    "Who said that?" Milberg asked.

    "The paramedics," Cruz said.

    Miami Dade Fire Rescue Capt. Robert Betancourt said the students were all stable. Still, some parents picked up their children early after they heard about the incident.

    'I don't like it. (It) doesn't make me happy," Alain Mata, whose child attends the school, said. "But that's why I came to pick him up to be safe. I want to feel good (knowing) that he's OK."

    Follow Local 10 News on Twitter@WPLGLocal10

    0 0

    Lamar Odom, who won two NBA championships while a forward for the Los Angeles Lakers, has been hospitalized in Las Vegas, the Nye County Sheriff's Office announced.

    Odom, also known for having been married to reality star Khloe Kardashian, was found unresponsive at the Love Ranch in Crystal, Nevada, on Tuesday afternoon. He was transported from the legal brothel to Desert View Hospital in Pahrump.

    Odom, 35, was treated by doctors, then transferred to Sunrise Hospital in Las Vegas, about 60 miles from Pahrump. Authorities originally had planned to fly him on a helicopter, but said the 6-foot-10 Odom wouldn't fit.

    Authorities didn't release his condition.

    "We are aware of the reports but have no information to share at this time," Lakers spokesman John Black said. "I am not aware of any of our players being in contact with Lamar."

    Odom was married to Kardashian in 2009 and the two had their own show, "Khloe & Lamar," which lasted two seasons and 20 episodes. Kardashian filed for divorce in 2013, and two years later the couple signed divorce papers.

    Odom played for four teams during his 14 seasons in the NBA and was the Sixth Man of the Year for the 2010-11 season. Odom was drafted by the Los Angeles Clippers in 1999. He played four seasons there before signing with the Miami Heat. He was traded after one season to the Lakers along with several other players for Shaquille O'Neal.

    He was a key part of the Lakers championship teams in 2009 and 2010.

    He was traded to the Dallas Mavericks during December 2011 and six months later was dealt to the Clippers.

    0 0

    A South Florida former Playmate was shocked to hear that Playboy will be eliminating nude photos from its magazine next year.

    "It's definitely not going to be the same," Jamie Lee Sasso said. "I don't know what the future is for playboy."

    Playboy confirmed on its website Tuesday that its iconic magazine is covering up in February 2016 when its March issue comes out, sending shockwaves across the Internet.

    Lee Sasso grew up in Hollywood and went by the name Jamie Westenhiser.  At the age of 23, the swimsuit model hit it big, scoring the magazine centerfold as Miss May in 2005.

    Lee Sasso said after the magazine executives pick a centerfold they ask the women to come and do a test shoot. She said they then go to dinner with Hugh Hefner and his girlfriends – although he has since married.

    She said from there, it was all posh parties and lucrative appearances. Lee Sasso also got the chance to live in the Playboy mansion.

    "It is all the rumors you hear," she said. "It is crazy. A lot of crazy wild girls and a lot of wild stuff goes on that's for sure."

    But the magazine is since then trying to tame down. According to its website, times have changed and more people are on the Web and are no longer subscribing to the magazine.

    "You're now one click away from every sex act imaginable for free. It's just passé at this juncture," Playboy's chief executive Scott Flanders told The New York Times, which first reported the news on Monday night.

    Today, Lee Sasso is a full-time mother and holistic health coach. She and her husband are busy raising their 3-year-old daughter and she's also focusing on a new business.

    "My lifestyle is totally different," Lee Sasso said. "I did it and it was fun, and I don't have any regrets."

    Follow Michael Seiden on Twitter@SeidenLocal10

    Follow Local 10 News on Twitter @WPLGLocal10

    0 0

    A video has been released that shows the moment a gas leak caused an explosion in the boiler room of a penthouse at a Sunny Isles Beach high-rise building.

    The video (shown above) that was obtained by the Sunny Isles Beach Police Department shows the explosion happening around 16 seconds into the video in one of the buildings in the center-right of the frame.

    The Sunny Isles Beach Building Department issued a stop work citation at the Chateau Beach Residences after the explosion.

    According to the citation issued, "the purging of (the) gas piping system was not performed in compliance with the 2010 fuel gas code."

    The citation also stated that the "fuel gas was vented into a confined space with sources of ignition. Precautions were not taken to safely purge gas piping."

    Miami-Dade Fire Rescue said that the gas leak at the high-rise building at 17475 Collins Ave. was sparked by an unknown ignition source.

    Debris from the blast injured guests at the adjacent Travelodge Monaco Beach Resort. That hotel remained closed Monday, and all guests were moved to another hotel a few block north.

    Six people were hurt in the incident, including two firefighters who were helping with the rescue effort.

    Follow Local 10 News on Twitter @WPLGLocal10

    0 0

    An elderly man and his wife were airlifted to a hospital after they were shot Tuesday afternoon in an attempted murder-suicide at their home in Parkland, detectives said.

    The shooting was reported at 358 NW 107th Terrace.

    Broward County sheriff's deputies said the man shot his wife and then shot himself.

    Both were airlifted to a hospital and their conditions have not been released.

    Watch Local 10 News or refresh this page for updates.

    Follow Local 10 News on Twitter @WPLGLocal10

    0 0

    Authorities in Palm Beach County raided three illegal slaughterhouses Tuesday morning in Loxahatchee with the help of officials with the Animal Recovery Mission.

    The operation resulted in the arrests of at least 10 slaughterhouse owners and employees. About 1,000 animals were found alive by rescuers.

    Authorities said the owners were involved in the underground and illegal slaughter of horses and illegal sale of their meat for human consumption, and said the meat was sold from Palm Beach County to Miami.

    Tuesday's raid was the largest tactical strike on extreme animal cruelty operations in U.S. history.

    DISCLAIMER: Continued content includes graphic details from authorities about the raids.

    One of the owners was identified as Jorge Garcia, who runs Rancho Garcia, 15703 Orange Blvd. Authorities said Garcia's customers have been traveling to Loxahatchee from the Miami area for decades and said Garcia purchases his horses from animal auctions and Craigslist.

    Garcia is also accused of selling the animals for black magic and sacrificial purposes.

    Authorities said undercover ARM investigators witnessed and captured footage of Garcia and his employees "selling large amounts of horse meat, violently stabbing pigs in the heart and boiling them alive, slitting throats of goats and rams before hoisting them by their hind legs then skinning them alive, and brutally stomping on ducks, slitting their throats and drowning them in their own blood."

    Garcia also used a section of his farm to run a puppy mill, where he breeds and sells dogs, authorities said.

    Garcia was arrested on two charges of causing cruel death to conservation animals and two counts of torment, deprivation, mutilation or killing of conservation animals. His bond was set at $6,000.

    In addition, Rafael Ramirez was arrested in connection with the Rancho Garcia raid. He is charged with the selling, buying and possession of horsemeat without a stamp, causing cruel death to conservation animals and torment, deprivation, mutilation or killing of conservation animals. His bond was set at $9,000.

    G.A. Paso Fino, 14873 Collecting Canal Road was also raided and shut down Tuesday.

    Authorities said the property is used for the training, breeding and selling of horses for slaughter, and is owned by Orlando Guzman.

    Guzman rents part of the land in the back of the property to Edgar Sr. Bica and Edgar Jr. Bica, who are also accused of running an illegal slaughterhouse.

    ARM investigators said the men supplied horse meat on the black market in the Loxahatchee and greater Wellington areas for decades, and tortured and slaughtered chickens, pigs and goats.

    Investigators said the men killed the animals the same way as Garcia and said they would also throw live armadillos into boiling water.

    Investigators said a puppy mill was being operated on the site, and the dogs were contained in small cages "riddled with excrement and rust and no water available."

    Cock fighting roosters were also discovered on the property.

    Edgar Bica Sr. and Edgar Bica Jr. were both charged with causing cruel death to conservation animals and torment, deprivation, mutilation or killing of conservation animals. Their bonds were both set at $3,000 each.

    Records on Guzman have not yet been released.

    The final slaughterhouse raided Tuesday was Medina Farm, 2151 C. Road.

    Authorities said the farm is legally incorporated, but claim the owner Jay and his employee, Jose Reyes, have been illegally slaughtering and torturing animals on their farm for decades.

    Reyes was arrested and charged with causing cruel death to conservation animals, threatening to kill or harm horses or cattle and torment, deprivation, mutilation or killing of conservation animals. His bond was set at $11,000.

    "ARM investigators have witnessed and documented extreme acts of animal cruelty such as, slitting goat's necks while they are restrained on their backs, forced to suffocate in their own blood, as well as slitting and severing the throats of cows with extremely dull blades before hoisting them by their hind legs and skinning them alive, often dragging out their death for over 20 minutes," authorities said.

    Medina Farm's customers largely consisted of Muslims, "who bought animals to be slaughtered for human consumption and ritualistic sacrifice," authorities said.

    Reports also show that a man named Monieram Rathibhan, 58, was arrested Tuesday and charged with causing cruel death to conservation animals, threatening to kill or harm horses or cattle and torment, deprivation, mutilation or killing of conservation animals. His bond was set at $9,000.

    Authorities said approximately 750 animals were seized, including goats, pigs, cattle, numerous species of birds, dogs, cats and fighting roosters.

    Follow Local 10 News on Twitter @WPLGLocal10

older | 1 | .... | 576 | 577 | (Page 578) | 579 | 580 | .... | 607 | newer