Are you the publisher? Claim or contact us about this channel

Embed this content in your HTML


Report adult content:

click to rate:

Account: (login)

More Channels


Channel Catalog

older | 1 | .... | 575 | 576 | (Page 577) | 578 | 579 | .... | 607 | newer

    0 0

    On first glance it looked like a funeral at Dade Memorial Park, but this was the opposite.

    The earth was dug up Thursday from the grave of Lula Mae Hilton, grandmother of Indianapolis Colts star receiver T.Y. Hilton, after the family was told by the cemetery that there had been a graveyard mix-up and that she wasn't actually buried where her headstone was located and where they were told she'd been buried eight years ago.

    The disturbing mistake became known when the cemetery realized that the plot where Hilton was thought to have been buried had been purchased by someone else who recently died.

    Then it was learned her remains were actually buried in an unmarked plot nearby, directly to the right of where it was believed by the family she'd been buried.

    "Day after day, four times, five times a year coming out here, I'm sitting there talking to her making believe she's talking back to me," said her son, T.Y. Hilton Sr. "I was just talking to someone that didn't even exist in that spot. That's the hurting part."

    Cemetery managers said Thursday that the mistake was made by the previous owners and that once they discovered there had been a mix-up, they notified the Hilton family and have done everything they can to rectify what they admitted was a terrible situation.

    Part of that process was raising her white casket from the ground Thursday to give certainty to the family that her remains had not been misplaced.

    After the casket was disinterred, one family member after another was shown an identification band affixed to the casket to seal their confidence.

    For granddaughter Corteona, sister of the football star who is in Indianapolis preparing for Sunday's game, it brought back some happy memories and the pain of the loss.

    "My grandma, she was one that spoiled everybody. She was the one that gave the candy when mommy and daddy said no," she said smiling before breaking down into tears. "It was tough watching it all over again."

    As tough as it was for the family, T.Y. Hilton Sr. said he was glad the truth came to light.

    "We got some type of closure," he said. "She's in the right place and I'm very happy of that, but I'm still sad that we had to go through that once again. Just thank god it's all over."

    Follow Bob Norman on Twitter @NormanOn10

    Follow Local 10 News on Twitter @WPLGLocal10

    0 0

    Hayden Moore threw two touchdown passes and ran for another score in his starting debut, and Cincinnati's struggling defense held on for a 34-23 victory over Miami on Thursday night to end the Hurricanes' streak of 10 straight wins over the Bearcats.

    The redshirt freshman followed up the best passing game in Cincinnati history with a solid performance. The Bearcats (3-2) surged ahead 14-3 and overcame a scoreless third quarter behind Moore, who was 22 of 33 for 279 yards with an interception.

    Moore filled in with Gunner Kiel sidelined by a neck injury suffered during a 53-46 loss at Memphis a week earlier. Moore took over in that game and threw for a school-record 557 yards with four touchdowns and two interceptions in only three quarters.

    Miami (3-1) was coming off a 36-33 win over Nebraska that featured five field goals by Michael Badgley. He made three more Thursday but missed from 51 and 53 yards as the Hurricanes repeatedly failed to reach the end zone.

    Trailing by 11 points, the Hurricanes went for it on fourth-and-goal from the 5 instead of taking the field goal. Brad Kaaya's pass was incomplete with 4:41 left. Kaaya finished 24 of 39 for 255 yards without a touchdown or interception.

    Tion Green's 41-yard run then put Cincinnati in position to finish it off. Green had 90 yards on 15 carries.

    Follow Local 10 News on Twitter @WPLGLocal10

    0 0

    A Miramar man was arrested Thursday after traveling to Pembroke Pines to meet with a person whom he believed to be a 15-year-old boy for sex, police said.

    Pembroke Pines police said Kevin Jackson, 45, contacted a detective who was posing as a teenager on an Internet website.

    According to an arrest report, Jackson gave the detective his cellphone number so that they could communicate via text messages.

    At one point, Jackson "asked the child if he was being set up by the police," the report said. After receiving assurances that he wasn't, Jackson said he thought the boy was "so sexy" and said he "wanted to make love to him," the report said.

    Eventually, Jackson made plans to travel to the boy's home to pick him up and bring him back to Miramar, the report said.

    When Jackson arrived at the meeting location, he was taken into custody without incident.

    Jackson admitted to traveling to meet the boy for sex, saying that he "was wrong and made a mistake," the report said.

    Follow Local 10 News on Twitter @WPLGLocal10

    0 0

    Aided with a walker, a South Florida DJ took the stand Thursday in Miami to testify on his own behalf in his DUI manslaughter trial.

    0 0

    Five passengers on board an American Airlines flight that landed in Miami were taken to a hospital Thursday after a turbulent trip.

    American Airlines Flight 982 arrived at Miami International Airport from Maurice Bishop International Airport in Grenada shortly before noon.

    Airline spokeswoman Laura Masvidal said five passengers were injured when the plane experienced turbulence midflight. The turbulence occurred approximately 80 miles south-southwest of Nassau, Bahamas, at 36,000 feet.

    "The seat belt sign was illuminated at the time, and the pilots did not have any indication of severe turbulence in the area," Masvidal said.

    She said there were 74 passengers and a crew of five on board.

    Follow Local 10 News on Twitter @WPLGLocal10

    0 0

    A South Florida restaurant gets rid of its entire staff following another bad inspection, and at another restaurant the owner refuses to take the blame for a continued rodent issue.

    0 0

    A Miami police officer was involved in a crash Thursday night.

    The crash happened at Northwest 15th Avenue and Northwest 62nd Street in Miami.

    One of the cars involved crashed into a fire hydrant.

    The officer was taken to Jackson Memorial Hospital. Miami police said it appeared the officer is going to be OK.

    No other information about the crash was immediately available.

    Follow Local 10 News on Twitter @WPLGLocal10

    0 0

    Parts of the Bahamas have already been pummeled with rain and floods.

    0 0

    Freshman Sarah Cobb was on her fourth day of classes at Umpqua Community College.

    Like other students, she was immersed in her new campus experience, barely a week into the start of the semester.

    As she sat in class, an armed man stormed into a class next door.

    "I hear loud bangs, thinking it's a textbook or something," she said.

    She looked outside the window and saw people scampering.

    "People were running away from the building, so I knew exactly what had just happened," she said. "I said to the teacher, 'We got to get out of here. There's people running. We need to go.' "

    Then she heard the second and third gunshots.

    'The saddest day'

    Umpqua is not your typical college. It's nestled in a logging town in Oregon, where the crime rate is so low, it reported no sex offenses, assaults, liquor law violations, weapons possessions or hate crimes between 2009 and 2012. Not even a robbery.

    When Chris Harper Mercer went from building to building Thursday, firing his gun, he didn't just kill nine people -- he left his mark on the scarred survivors, on the frightened students across campus, and on the panicked parents who waited miles away for word.

    "Today was the saddest day in the history of the college," said Rita Cavin, the interim leader of the college.

    The gunman also died, although it's unclear whether he was shot by police or committed suicide.

    'I've been waiting to do this'

    In a classroom next door to Cobb's, it was the fourth day of college for freshman Anastasia Boylan, too.

    Like Cobb, she was in class, relishing her new experience. But unlike Cobb, there was no wall between her and the bloody mayhem.

    The armed man stormed Boylan's class with four weapons, officials said.

    "I've been waiting to do this for years," the gunman told the professor teaching the class, according to Boylan's father, Stacy, who relayed her account.

    He shot the professor at point blank as horrified students dove to the floor.

    'You're going to see God in ... one second'

    The gunman reloaded his handgun and ordered the students to stand up, Anastasia Boylan recounted to her family.

    He barked out one question: What religion are you?

    "And they would stand up and he said, 'Good, because you're a Christian, you're going to see God in just about one second,' " Boylan's father said. He fired some more.

    While Anastasia Boylan lay bleeding on the floor, the gunman told her, "Hey you, blond woman," her mother said.

    She braved the pain from the gunshot wound in her back and played dead.

    "He had enough time to drop the magazine, put another one in and continue," the mother said. "I don't understand how he could have that much time to kill that many people."

    'We called ... our loved ones'

    The shooting appears to have started in one building, before the gunman moved to the school's science building. Those killed and wounded were found in at least two classrooms.

    Throughout the buildings, students dropped to the ground, huddling behind backpacks and chairs, or underneath tables.

    That's what Cassandra Welding and her classmates did.

    "We locked the doors, turned off the lights, and we were all pretty much in panic mode," she said.

    "We called 911 and called our parents, our loved ones. ... We didn't know what was going to happen, if those were our last words or not."

    'I was frozen'

    Miles away, parents waited and watched ambulances taking victims away.

    Sandy Miles, a nurse at a local hospital, found out about the shooting while she was on duty.

    "I was frozen," she told CNN affiliate KOIN. "My Hannah's out there. ... I'm thinking one of these (patients) that they're wheeling in, 'Is this going to be Hannah?' "

    "It was constant," she said of the flow of patients. "An ambulance would drive up ... then another one."

    Hannah Miles, 19, was in a nearby class when the gunfire rang out. Together with classmates, they took off running, eventually hunkering in the school bookstore.

    Miles, Welding and Cobb made it out safely.

    Anastasia Boylan suffered a bullet wound to her spine. She played dead -- and she too survived.

    0 0
  • 10/02/15--23:00: On this day: October 3
  • Bobby Thomson hits the "shot heard 'round the world," Woody Guthrie passes away, Germany comes together, and O.J. Simpson is found not guilty, all on this day.

    0 0

    More than 300 students at Bethany Christian School in Fort Lauderdale teamed up to make a difference for kids in Haiti. It's all part of a campaign called Feed The Need.

    "This is where we are going to be packing over 10,000 meals for hungry kids in Haiti," said Marne MacPhee, director of communications for the school.

    Roughly 100,000 Haitian kids under the age of 5 suffer from malnutrition. It's a fact not lost on the Bethany students who packed rice, soybeans and other vitamin-rich foods. From toddlers to tweens, everyone got involved.

    "I just hope that they enjoy it and I am glad that I can help them," said Madison Barrett, 13.

    "And I know that with God's help, they can become a great nation, we just need to aid them," said Kevin Carlstedt, 11.

    All the students at Bethany are helping to feed the need a number of different ways.

    "We're also doing a school supplies drive for the children in Haiti through Mission of Hope," MacPhee said. "Also this year we are doing this initiative where the kids in our school are going to become pen pals with these 62 orphans."

    Next spring, a group of Bethany students will be going on a mission trip to Haiti to meet the kids who'll be receiving the meals. The visit will bring Friday's event full circle.

    "We want them to feel special about doing something that is not for themselves. For thinking about other kids," MacPhee said.

    Local 10 News viewers can also get involved and Feed The Need. To make a monetary donation, text BOBCAT to 71777. To donate school supplies, call the school at 954-522-2554. Bethany Christian School is at 880 S. Federal Highway in Fort Lauderdale.

    Follow Eric Yutzy on Twitter @EricYutzy

    Follow Local 10 News on Twitter @WPLGLocal10

    0 0

    It is an uplifting end to a heartbreaking "Call Christina" investigation about a South Florida man who took money for grave markers he never delivered.

    In a July edition of "Call Christina," Local 10 News investigative reporter Christina Vazquez shared the story of Vernell Roker and Betty Williams.

    RELATED: Man allegedly took women's money, didn't deliver headstones

    In 2013, Roker had ordered a headstone for her daughter, Vicki, and Williams had ordered a headstone for her granddaughter, Kia.

    Both women said the man they paid, Ricky Williams, of Community Monument and Casket Company, took their money and never produced the markers.

    Over the phone, Williams confirmed their account with Vazquez. He claimed he would order the markers but, again, failed to deliver.

    Roker would lumber through the grass of the Hallandale Cemetery where her daughter is buried, struggling to find her daughter.

    "Last time I was here I couldn't find my baby. I couldn't find my child," she said.

    The story moved Gina Hankerson, of Angelic Monument Company Inc., located in Lauderhill.

    "When I heard her and saw her walking up and down the cemetery, it just brought tears to my eyes. You know, calling out for her daughter, it was very emotional. I can't imagine a mother not being able to find her daughter at the cemetery," said Hankerson.

    Hankerson contacted "Call Christina," offering to donate markers so both Roker and Williams will be able to find their loved ones at the cemetery.

    After the story aired, Local 10 viewer Grace Cespedes also called into the "Call Christina" hotline, offering to help.

    Vazquez connected that viewer with Hankerson and put Angelic Monument Company staff in direct contact with Roker and Williams.

    Local 10 News was there when Williams saw her marker for the first time.

    "I feel peace, and I love the lady that made it possible. And Channel 10, too," said Williams.

    Roker's marker will be available for pick-up in the coming days.

    Hankerson began in the business of cleaning and taking care of headstones at cemeteries. It bothered her when she saw families unable to find loved ones.

    "All grass looks the same. They think that they will remember, but they will never remember that day," Hankerson said. "I found myself helping them look for their loved ones headstone."

    Hankerson wants to reassure the community that not all monument companies will take their money without following through.

    "We're all a part of the same community, and that's why we're reaching out to her," Hankerson said. "At the lowest time of someone's life, you pitch in."

    Follow Christina  Vazquez on Twitter @CallChristinaTV

    Follow Local 10 News on Twitter @WPLGLocal10

    0 0

    Miami-Dade County Public Schools Superintendent Alberto Carvalho is hoping the deadly shooting rampage at an Oregon college will lead to serious conversations about gun control.

    "We come together after, yet again, an episode of incredible violence," said Carvalho, who spoke Friday morning at a swearing-in ceremony honoring eight new school police officers.  

    "It's time in America, at the very least, to have a conversation about gun policy," Carvalho said. "At the very least, we need to discuss the issue. At the very least, those who refuse to take action on these matters should have to read the names and stare into the faces of those who are killed in schools, colleges and universities."

    Carvalho was joined by a handful of administrators and police officers, including Miami-Dade Schools Police Department Chief Ian Moffett.

    "As chief of police, I think about that every day," Moffett said when asked about what happened in Oregon. "Communication is key. As officers, educators, friends and family, it's our responsibility to communicate with our kids and find out if something is wrong."

    Moffett said most of his officers have a military background. He also added that he and his officers are always staying vigilant, making sure they're ready for any kind of situation.

    "We have the technology and the officers to protect our kids," he said.

    Local 10 News spoke with some of the officers after the ceremony. They said they're disturbed by what unfolded in Oregon, but expressed eagerness to serve and protect the fourth-largest school district in the nation.

    Follow Michael Seiden on Twitter @SeidenLocal10

    Follow Local 10 News on Twitter @WPLGLocal10

    Oregon college mass shooting

    0 0

    The FBI is trying to identify a masked gunman who robbed a Lighthouse Point bank Friday morning.

    FBI spokesman Jim Marshall said the robbery was reported shortly after 11 a.m. at a Wells Fargo branch on North Federal Highway.

    Marshall said the gunman entered the bank and demanded money from a bank employee. He got away with an undisclosed amount of money.

    No injuries were reported.

    Surveillance images showed that the gunman was wearing what appeared to be scuba goggles and was dressed in all black.

    Anyone with information about the robber is asked to call the FBI office in South Florida at 754-703-2000.

    Follow Local 10 News on Twitter @WPLGLocal10

    0 0

    Hillary Clinton2


    Clinton was speaking at Broward College in Fort Lauderdale Friday, as federal authorities were investigating if suspected Russian hackers were able to access the State Department's unclassified systems.

    While the email scandal took a twist after news that her personal account was on the receiving end of a spear phishing cyberattack, Clinton talked about equal pay and access to education.

    "We are going to make college affordable again," Clinton said. She added that she wants to implement President Barack Obama's plan to make community colleges free. 

    Clinton's event was meant to show that the email scandal has not hurt the excitement behind her campaign in the key swing state. Broward is the County with the highest number of registered Democrats.

    Kelly Clarkson's "Stronger," Pharrell Williams' song "Happy" and the Latin beats of Jennifer Lopez's "Let's Get Loud" were on the playlist before Clinton entered the room.

    "Si Se Puede y Se Debe" -- meaning "Yes We Can and We Must" -- was the slogan in Spanish that the Clinton campaign was using to lure Latinos in Florida, where there are 29 electoral votes.

    Clinton said the issue of climate change was especially important in South Florida, and she was going to make sure to address the issue. She also criticized Florida Republicans and Gov. Rick Scott for not expanding Medicaid. 

    As "Latinos for Hillary" launches, Clinton was also scheduled to meet for an interview Friday afternoon with Telemundo, a Spanish television network.

    Her busy agenda according to the Miami Herald: In Broward County, she will be at attorney Mitchell Berger's home.  In Palm Beach, she will be at attorney Fred Cunningham's home. And in Miami-Dade County, she will be at the home of F.J. Pollak, the CEO of TracFone Wireless.

    Clinton has been at similar events  in Arkansas, Colorado, Wisconsin, Maine, Ohio and Louisiana. The first Democratic primary debate with Bernie Sanders will be Oct. 13 in Las Vegas. Then she is expected to target Latinos during similar events in Nevada and Texas.

    Follow reporter on Twitter @MiamiCrime

    Follow Local 10 News on Twitter @WPLGLocal10

    0 0

    A South Florida disc jockey accused of driving under the influence in a Coral Gables crash that killed a couple two years ago has been found guilty.

    It took jurors a little more than two hours to convict Ervens Prudent on two counts each of DUI manslaughter and vehicular homicide Friday.

    A jury of two men and four women found that Prudent, who is also known as DJ AOL, was intoxicated when the Toyota Corolla he was driving slammed into another car stopped at a Coral Gables intersection in June 2013. Maria Martinez, 44, and Marlon Gutierrez, 34, were killed in the crash.

    During his trial, Prudent testified on his own behalf, claiming that he fell asleep while driving home from a friend's wedding. Prudent said he had a vodka and Sprite and two glasses of champagne at the wedding, but he denied being intoxicated.

    Ed O'Donnell, Prudent's attorney, said he was "disappointed" by the verdict.

    "It's just a shame that this happened," O'Donnell said.

    Prudent was remanded into custody. He faces up to 30 years in prison when he is sentenced Nov. 18.

    "No one's winning here," Martinez's daughter, Yuri Blen, said after the verdict. "We all lost someone."

    Follow John Turchin on Twitter @johnturchin

    Follow Local 10 News on Twitter @WPLGLocal10

    0 0

    A member of a self-proclaimed gypsy family is out of business and headed to state prison. Larry Mitchell accepted a plea deal, but all charges were dropped against his brother. A woman told police she was held against her will and robbed after Mitchell offered to fix her car in a parking lot.

    0 0

    A cargo ship from Jacksonville that was supposed to arrive in San Juan, Puerto Rico, on Friday morning is missing after its crew reported that it was caught in the path of Hurricane Joaquin.

    El Faro, a 735-foot cargo ship, was en route to Puerto Rico when the U.S. Coast Guard received notice that it had become disabled, Capt. Mark Fedor said.

    The Coast Guard hasn't made contact with anyone on the ship since Thursday morning.

    RELATED: Tracking information on El Faro

    Fedor said a C-130 Hercules Coast Guard plane has been flying low to the water in search of the ship.

    "They're flying down at 2,000 feet, which is pushing -- absolutely pushing -- the operational envelope of what they're supposed to fly," Fedor said.

    Fedor said 28 of the 33 crew members on board are U.S. citizens, and five others are Polish nationals.

    TOTE Maritime Puerto Rico, which owns the ship, said it lost contact with El Faro as of 7:20 a.m. Thursday.

    The Coast Guard suspended its search Friday night but planned to resume the search Saturday morning.

    "We are going to continue to be aggressive and try to get near that vessel's last known position," Fedor said.

    El Faro means "the lighthouse" in Spanish. Family members of the crew are hoping there is some light at the end of the storm.

    Follow Local 10 News on Twitter @WPLGLocal10

    0 0

    Police have arrested a South Florida woman they said stabbed her husband several times during sex because he called out another woman's name.

    West Palm Beach police said Christina Balazi, 39, was in bed on top of her husband Thursday with a sheet pulled over his head.

    Chris Balazi said he felt a sharp pain in his neck and told police that when he removed the sheet, he saw his wife holding a kitchen knife over him.

    RELATED: Sunrise man disembowels girlfriend who screamed ex-husband's name during sex

    Police said she chased him through the house with the knife, which he eventually wrestled away from her. Police said she then got in the car and they chased her for several minutes before ultimately arresting her.

    Christina Balazi claimed she stabbed her husband because he called out another's woman's name during sex.

    She is facing charges of first-degree attempted murder and fleeing and eluding.

    Follow Local 10 News on Twitter @WPLGLocal10

    0 0

    A gas leak caused an explosion in the boiler room of a penthouse at a Sunny Isles Beach high-rise building Friday, injuring six people, including two firefighters who were helping with the rescue effort.

    Sky 10 was above the building at the Chateau Beach Residences, 17475 Collins Ave.

    Sunny Isles Beach spokesman Brian Andrews told Local 10 News that the Chateau is under construction. He said debris from the blast injured guests at the adjacent Travelodge Monaco Beach Resort.

    Two people were stuck in an elevator after the explosion and had to be rescued. They were not injured.

    Miami-Dade Fire Rescue spokeswoman Michelle Fayed said two victims were taken by ambulance to Aventura Hospital and another victim was airlifted to Jackson Memorial Hospital's Ryder Trauma Center in Miami. Another victim was treated at the scene.

    One man could be seen sitting on a luggage carrier with his foot wrapped in a bandage. He was later placed on a stretcher.

    LISTEN: 911 call of Chateau Beach Residences explosion

    Fayed said two firefighters also suffered minor injuries. A firefighter could be seen limping from the building.

    6 injured in Sunny Isles Beach explosion

    Mayor Bud Scholl said the cause of the gas leak remains under investigation.

    "I've instructed our city manager and our city building official to go back through every inch of the construction process (for) this building to make sure everything was done appropriately," he said.

    Guests at the hotel had to be relocated.

    All lanes of Collins Avenue, which is a stretch of State Road A1A, were closed for several hours during the investigation.

    Follow Local 10 News on Twitter @WPLGLocal10

    Sunny Isles Beach high-rise explosion injures several

older | 1 | .... | 575 | 576 | (Page 577) | 578 | 579 | .... | 607 | newer