Are you the publisher? Claim or contact us about this channel

Embed this content in your HTML


Report adult content:

click to rate:

Account: (login)

More Channels


Channel Catalog

older | 1 | .... | 561 | 562 | (Page 563) | 564 | 565 | .... | 607 | newer

    0 0

    A photography exhibit inspired by the 2014 #BlackLivesMatter demonstrations in South Florida is on display at the historic Ward Rooming House in Overtown.

    The "No More Blues" exhibit was created by Haitian-American photographer Cendino Teme, and depicts images from the Interstate 95 peaceful protest that took place in December 2014 during Art Basel.

    "The visual arts is often a medium used for social awareness and change. As an artist I feel like it is my obligation to do as those that came before me. Such as the first black photographer, Gordon Parks did during the civil rights movement, as will I give voice to the people through my artistry," said Temé . "The exhibition, "No More Blues" exhibition seeks to bring the social issues of police brutally and the inherent bias of the justice system to the forefront with a imagery from the BlackLivesMatter movement in South Florida."

    The exhibit will run through December and admission is free.

    The Ward Rooming House is located at 249 NW Ninth St.

    Hours of operation are Tuesday through Thursday from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. and Friday and Saturday from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.

    Click here for more information about the exhibit.

    0 0

    A 13-year-old girl is listed in stable condition after being shot in the back Thursday night while standing outside her home in Brownsville.

    Police said the shooting happened about 10:40 p.m., while the child, Akari Baki, was standing outside her home in the 6300 block of Northwest 19th Avenue with her father.

    Baki was taken to a hospital where she is recovering from her injuries.

    Her family said she is an 8th-grade student at Charles Drew Middle School, which is just a short distance away from where the shooting occurred. 

    It's unclear if anyone was taken into custody in the drive-by shooting.

    Watch Local 10 News or refresh this page for updates.

    Follow Local 10 News on Twitter @WPLGLocal10

    0 0

    A 19-year-old Arby's employee who allegedly refused to serve a Pembroke Pines police officer earlier this week will not be fired by the fast-food chain, his grandfather told Local 10 News.

    The man said his grandson, Kenneth Davenport, met off site Friday morning with managers, who told him that he would be suspended for several days but would not lose his job.

    The manager of the restaurant has since been fired.

    According to an offense report by Sgt. Jennifer Martin, the officer ordered food Tuesday night in the restaurant's drive-thru and drove to the window to pay.

    Martin claims that Davenport took her credit card. She said the restaurant's manager, Angel Mirabal, 22, approached the window and said, "He doesn't want to serve you because you are a police officer."

    Martin claims that Mirabel served her, but she immediately went inside to get a refund and chose to dine somewhere else.

    According to the report, Mirabel told Martin that Davenport was allowed to refuse her service.

    The incident sparked outrage across police departments throughout South Florida, prompting Arby's CEO Paul Brown to issue a public apology.

    "Please accept our sincerest apology for the recent incident that occurred at our Arby's restaurant in Pembroke Pines, Florida," Brown said in a letter. "This isolated incident does not represent Arby's Restaurant Group's views and Arby's values. We appreciate all that you do, as well as the hard work and sacrifices of your fellow law enforcement officials in communities across America."

    Brown also offered all Miami-Dade and Broward police officers a free combo meal at any Arby’s location in the two counties on Friday.

    Follow Local 10 News on Twitter @WPLGLocal10

    0 0

    A tattoo artist was robbed early Monday in Miami Beach while riding his skateboard home, police said.

    Surveillance video captured two men attacking the victim just before 5 a.m.

    Police said the victim took the bus from South Beach toward his North Beach home and then rode his skateboard the rest of the way.

    Police said a dark-colored SUV pulled up alongside him, and the thieves asked the victim for a cigarette.

    The victim agreed to give them a cigarette, but said the men got out of the SUV and began to approach him.

    In fear for his life, the victim ran toward a Chevron gas station at 71st Street and Harding Avenue, police said.

    Surveillance video shows the two men attacking the victim on the ground, taking his backpack, which contained work supplies.

    Police said the men also stole the victim's skateboard.

    Miami Beach Fire Rescue treated the victim at the scene. Authorities said he suffered bruising and cuts and had a fingernail torn off.

    Anyone with information about the robbers, who are believed to be Hispanic, is asked to call Miami-Dade Crime Stoppers at 305-471-TIPS.

    Follow Local 10 News on Twitter @WPLGLocal10

    0 0

    A Coconut Creek man told police that he beat his teenage son with an auxiliary cord because the boy was high and slept all day long, according to an arrest report.

    Gerardo Soto, 37, was arrested Thursday on charges of battery and child abuse.

    Coconut Creek police said the 16-year-old boy was hit in the face with a cord.

    When police asked Soto about what happened, Soto confessed to the beating, saying he heard his son talking on his cellphone and "became very angry and confrontational," prompting him to grab a cord and swing it at the boy, according to the report.

    Police said the boy had a cord mark across the left side of his face and ear. Police said the injuries were minor, but the cord did cause the boy to bleed.

    Follow Local 10 News on Twitter @WPLGLocal10

    0 0

    Realtor Liz Caldwell shows off great deals for homes that are new in the market.

    0 0

    A South Florida musician was reunited with her childhood guitar after a Minnesota family who had owned it for years tracked her down.

    Susan Shane-Linder, a singer/songwriter and children’s recording artist based in Boca Raton, hadn’t seen the guitar since the 1970s when she received it in the mail Thursday. Originally a gift for her fifth or sixth birthday, Shane-Linder said she lost track of her first guitar during high school when she got a new one.

    “It could have been donated to some place; it could have been put out to the trash,” said Shane-Linder. “I really don’t remember and neither do my parents.”

    Somehow the guitar ended up at an estate sale in Minnesota, where it was purchased about 10 years ago. Recently, the family who purchased it noticed Shane-Linder’s name was marked inside of the instrument and decided to track her down. When the family found the musician’s website, they thought for sure they had found the right person.

    “It just took my breath away,” said Shane-Linder. “I’d love to know the stories of its adventure in all those years because it must be a wonderful adventure. I had no idea when I owned this guitar that my future would be music.”

    Neither Shane-Linder nor the family who connected with her knows how it ended up for sale in Minnesota. A grandfather purchased it at the estate sale about a decade ago for his grandchildren to play with, but it largely sat unused until recently. The family told her the children were excited to track her down. When she received the package, it came with a photo of them and several drawings from the children.

    Shane-Linder told Local 10 News she was so touched by the children’s generosity, she sent them a few of her own CDs in return.

    “I think we’re going to be a part of each other’s lives,”

    Shane-Linder has not decided whether how much she’ll restore the guitar for future use but plans to show the students she teaches.

    “Hang onto the things that you love because you never know what’s going to happen in the future for you or it.” 

    Slideshow embedded here

    0 0

    The Conscience Under Fire theater piece will get underway next weekend at the Teatro Prometeo. Visit their Facebook page for more information:

    0 0
  • 09/05/15--06:58: Adopt A Pet! Meet Tito!
  • Cheri Wachter from the Humane Society of Broward County introduces us to Tito, a doggy looking for a loving home.

    0 0

    Ismael Pico's lifeless body was slumped over a small kitchen counter. The right side of his face was pressed on the surface. His arms were hanging down.

    The knife that pierced his chest was on the counter. There was blood all over when Miami Fire Rescue responded to apartment 813 at 750 NW 13 Ave., in Miami's Little Havana.

    Deborah Lynn Andrews said that although she had stabbed her boyfriend before -- she didn't kill him. The final stab wound, she said, was self-inflicted.

    "Officials on the scene advised that the victim had a kitchen knife in his right hand, which wound up on the kitchen counter," Detective Anthony Reyes said in the arrest form. But only Andrews claims to have seen Pico holding the knife, before she placed it on the counter, Reyes said.

    Andrews appeared in front of Miami-Dade County Judge Mindy S. Glazer Friday. She faced one count of second degree murder with a deadly weapon in the Jan. 9, 2009 case.

    "According to physical evidence on the scene [and] findings from the medical examiner, the wound to the victim was not self inflicted," Reyes said. "The defendant [Andrews] herself stated that only her and the victim were in the apartment."

    Dr. David Fintan Garavan was the Miami-Dade County medical examiner in the case. He ruled it a homicide.

    "Years later and thru thorough fine combing investigation, detectives had enough to arrest Andrews," Miami police spokeswoman Kenia Fallat said in a statement Friday afternoon.

    Andrews was being held without bond Friday night at Turner Guilford Knight Correctional Center in Northwest Miami-Dade.

    When Pico, 50, died, Andrew had a criminal record that included alcohol abuse, cocaine possession, aggravated battery and battery, records show. She continued to have brushes with the law up until last year.

    Andrews, who was 48 when Pico died and is a 54-year-old redhead now, said she was homeless when police found her and booked her about 5:30 p.m., Thursday.

    Reyes reported that she was caught near the Earlington Heights Metrorail station, 2100 NW 41 St., in Miami's Brownsville neighborhood and The Salvation Army, 1907 NW 38 St., in Allapattah.

    That year, Reyes, the detective in the cold case, appeared onA&E First 48, a reality TV show that featured investigators at work during the critical two days after a homicide.

    Follow reporter Andrea Torres on Twitter @MiamiCrime

    0 0

    Miami-Dade police officer Lydia Marquez said she had enough with the lack of gratitude. A video that she shared on Facebook to air her frustrations, had at least a million views late Friday night.

    The mom of a four and a two year old was wearing her uniform when she pressed the record button. Marquez was nearly in tears when she said she told her sons Thursday that she was going to work, "because mommy cares.

    "Mommy cares. I care."

    Viral video

    On her Facebook post, the brave mom said that she was speaking her mind even though she feared that the move could get her in trouble. But she was getting nothing, but signs of support from all over the country.

    "I need to speak out about all these things that are happening to my PD family," she said.

    Shannon J. Miles gunned down Darren H. Goforth, a 47-year-old deputy and father of two, Aug. 28, near Houston. His death, followed quickly by that of Lt. Joe Gliniewicz Tuesday in Fox Lake, Illinois.

    As mourners gathered Friday for Goforth's funeral and new surveillance video surfaced in the hunt for Gliniewicz's killers, the Miami-Dade police officer's video had been shared at least a half a thousand times.

    "We are putting our lives out on the line here, because we are going to you, because you need us," she said, while adding that officers respond to calls for help regardless of the caller's race or ethnicity.

    "The oath is color blind," the veteran police officer said.

    David Harris, a University of Pittsburgh School of Law expert on policing, said he has heard many police officers say that they are showing up to work even though they feel that they are under siege.

    "There's no evidence of the so-called Ferguson effect -- that police are hesitating to do their jobs -- or that criminals are being emboldened by the rhetoric," Harris said. "They're not doing their jobs any differently. The job is harder in the last year, but they aren't just lying down."

    Chuck Canterbury, president of the national Fraternal Order of Police, a union representing more than 300,000 officers, said that the feeling that police officers have targets on their backs is nationwide.

    "You have people in social media saying, 'Fry him, glad he's dead,' " Canterbury said. 

    Last week, demonstrators marched to the gates of the Minnesota State Fair and raised a banner reading "Black Lives Matter," while chanting, "Pigs in a blanket! Fry 'em like bacon!"

    When a Birmingham, Alabama, veteran police detective was pistol-whipped unconscious last month, because he hesitated to use force, some social media users mocked him. The officer said he didn't want to be accused of needlessly killing an unarmed man.

    "A lot of officers are being too cautious because of what's going on in the media," said the officer, who asked to remain anonymous over concerns for the safety of his family. "I hesitated because I didn't want to be in the media." Photos of him were being shared on Instagram, Twitter, Snapchat and Facebook.

    Former Baltimore Police Commissioner Anthony Batts said at a panel discussion this week that the recent crime surge in his city is partly attributable to officers feeling that "no one is standing up" for them.

    Six Baltimore police officers have been charged in connection with the death of Freddie Gray, who suffered a fatal spinal injury while being transported in a police van. Gray's death in April sparked days of unrest in the city of more than 600,000 people about 40 minutes northeast of the nation's capital.

    Batts, who was fired in July, said anti-police sentiments have had a chilling effect, making officers around the country hesitant to leave their patrol cars.

    "In some parts of Baltimore there is a visceral hatred of that uniform that I used to wear," he said at Mount St. Mary's College in Maryland. "You could feel it."

    Marquez is not the only one taking to social media to react to the recent deaths.

    A Boston Police Department Facebook post this week said, "Blessed Are the Peacemakers," asking "When Is Enough ... Enough??? When Are We Going to Rally Around Law Enforcement??? When Are We Going to Stand Up for Police Officers???"

    In Memphis, police posted a photo on Facebook of a black female police officer flanked by a young white woman and a young black man. Scrawled on the officer's hand was the message: "Their lives matter." On the hands of the young people "Her life matters" was written, with arrows pointing to the officer.

    And the Houston Police Officers' Union posted that it's offering a $2,500 reward for information leading to the arrest of the person who has spray-painted stenciled graffiti around the city depicting a police officer with a gun pointed at his head.

    In South Florida, the tension was affecting a fast-food restaurant. In Broward County, Kenneth Davenport, an employee at Arby's drive-through refused to serve Pembroke Pines Sgt. Jennifer Martin Tuesday night. There were protests outside of the fast-food restaurant in support of police officers.

    "It's upsetting to see that this is happening across the nation and people are acting so nasty," protester Adina Alsina said.

    On the Facebook video, Marquez said the public needs to avoid generalizations and remember that "all lives matter." And that there are "bad apples" in every profession.

    "When you are running away from something, because you are in fear for your life, we are running to it," she said in the video. "When I kiss my children in the morning, before I go to work, and tell them I love them, I don't know if I'm coming back at the end of the day.

    "I don't know -- especially now a days."

    Follow reporter Andrea Torres on Twitter @MiamiCrime

    Messages of support for officer Marquez

    0 0

    A 1-year-old boy has been hospitalized after being found unresponsive and not breathing in a bath tub, Lauderhill Fire officials said.

    The incident happened around 9:30 p.m. Friday in the 5200 block of Northwest 17th Court.

    According to the boy's father, the mother was giving the boy a bath when she stepped away, leaving the child alone.

    When the mother returned, the boy was submerged and not breathing, officials said. 911 was called.

    Police arrived and began CPR. When Lauderhill Fire Rescue arrived, crews took over life-saving measures and took the boy to Plantation General Hospital, officials said.

    Emergency room doctors were able to get a pulse back, but the boy is not breathing on his own, according to Lauderhill Fire Rescue.

    Watch Local 10 News and refresh for updates on this developing story.

    Follow Local 10 News on Twitter @WPLGLocal10

    0 0

    A fire broke out inside a Miami-Dade government building early Saturday, fire rescue officials told Local 10 News. 

    Miami Fire Rescue crews were called to the Stephen P. Clark Center just before 4 a.m. They found a small fire had sparked inside an office on the 15th floor that is part of the Public Works Department. 

    Capt. Ignatius Carroll said the flames were put out within 15 minutes. There was no damage to any other offices.

    The Stephen P. Clark Center, located at 111 Northwest 1st St., is home to many county government offices, as well as a MetroRail stop. 

    The cause of the fire remains under investigation. 

    Watch Local 10 News and refresh for updates on this story.

    Follow Local 10 News on Twitter @WPLGLocal10

    0 0

    Tropical Depression Seven has formed south of the Cape Verde Islands. The system is expected to strengthen in the next 24-48 hours. That's when it would become Tropical Storm Grace. The National Hurricane Center says the storm is packing winds up to 35 mph. Stay with Local 10 for updates on this developing story.

    0 0

    Everett Golson looked as if he had been running Florida State's offense for three years instead of less than three months.

    In his debut for the 10th-ranked Seminoles, the graduate transfer from Notre Dame threw for four touchdown passes in a 59-16 victory over Texas State on Saturday night.

    Golson, who got his degree from Notre Dame in May and arrived at Florida State a couple months later, was 19 for 25 for 302 yards, marking the seventh 300-yard passing game of his career. He matched his career high for touchdown passes set last year in Notre Dame's victory over Syracuse.

    Texas State cut it to 14-10 in the second quarter on Chris Nutall's 4-yard run, but Florida State scored on seven of its next eight drives. The Bobcats didn't cross into Seminoles' territory again until midway through the fourth quarter.

    Florida State mainly kept it on the ground in the first half, running on 23 of 32 plays. Golson though took advantage of the worn-down Texas State defense in the second half, going 12 of 16 for 228 yards.

    During the preseason, Florida State coach Jimbo Fisher talked about Golson's ability to extend plays with his feet. He showed that on his first touchdown pass as he eluded the rush, rolled left and found Travis Rudolph for a 5-yard touchdown strike to make it 28-10 with 9:06 remaining in the third quarter.

    Golson also threw touchdown passes to Ryan Izzo and Jesus Wilson before wrapping up his night with a 55-yard scoring pass to Ja'Vonn Harrison.

    Sean Maguire, who competed with Golson during the preseason, came in midway through the fourth quarter and directed two scoring drives, including a 24-yard touchdown pass to Johnathan Vickers.

    Dalvin Cook ran for 156 yards and two touchdowns, Mario Pender added 92 yards on 14 carries, and Florida State averaged 6.5 yards a carry.

    Both of Texas State's scores came by virtue of breakdowns by Florida State's punt return unit. A fake punt by Lumi Kaba kept a Bobcats' drive alive early in the second quarter and set up a James Sherman's 26-yard field goal. After Marquez White fumbled a punt, Nutall's touchdown drew Texas State within four.

    Tyler Jones was 16 of 25 for 100 yards and ran for 35 yards for Texas State before being lifted early in the fourth quarter.

    In six season openers under Fisher, the Seminoles have outscored their opponents 299-69.

    The start of the game was delayed 63 minutes because of lightning.

    0 0

    Hunter Knighton's first play didn't officially count, nor did Corn Elder's first touchdown.

    They mattered plenty to Miami.

    Brad Kaaya passed for 173 yards and two touchdowns in less than three quarters, Elder took a punt return 72 yards for a score after having another nullified by an unusual call and Miami beat Bethune-Cookman 45-0 in a lightning-delayed game on Saturday night. It was Miami's first shutout under coach Al Golden; the Hurricanes' last was a 45-0 win over Florida A&M on Sept. 2, 2010.

    But the biggest victory of all might have been Knighton getting on the field. The reserve offensive lineman suffered a life-threatening heatstroke on Feb. 24, 2014, spent 12 days in a coma and lost 55 pounds, and made his long-awaited debut after many surmised he would never get the chance to play for Miami.

    "I think it's the final piece to his healing and to our healing," Carole Knighton, the lineman's mother, told The Associated Press just after the play while surrounded by friends, family and even some of the medical personnel who worked with her son after the heatstroke. "It is God-given, Hunter-driven and it is a miracle. He was saved for a reason."

    Knighton's first play came on a field goal try that was washed away by a penalty in the first quarter, as his mother sobbed tears of joy. He started getting regular offensive line snaps in the third quarter, when the Hurricanes were substituting liberally.

    Miami won its ninth consecutive home opener, but didn't escape unscathed and lost two wide receivers in the first quarter. Braxton Berrios left with a knee injury that had the Hurricanes concerned, and Stacy Coley departed with an ankle injury. There was no immediate word on the severity of either issue, and Berrios was taken to a hospital for further examination.

    True freshman Mark Walton had 85 yards on 10 carries and scored in his Miami debut. Joe Yearby and Trayone Gray added touchdown runs and Kaaya connected with Standish Dobard and Rashawn Scott for touchdown passes. Scott had 100 receiving yards on six catches.

    Bethune-Cookman was held to 79 yards of offense, the fourth time since 1996 that Miami held an opponent under 100 yards. Miami had 379 yards.

    Kaaya now has at least one scoring pass in all 14 games of his Miami career. The only Miami quarterback in the last 20 years to have longer streaks of consecutive games with a TD pass is Ken Dorsey, who had runs of 23 and 17 straight games with a scoring toss.

    Elder returned two punts for scores in the second quarter. Only one counted.

    He had a punt return for a score erased early in the quarter after officials determined another Miami player waved his arms to indicate to the Wildcats there would be no play on the ball and it therefore could not be advanced. The game was then delayed more than an hour by lightning and the second half was shortened to 20 minutes.

    Rayshawn Jenkins, who lost his entire 2014 season due to injury, and Artie Burns had interceptions for Miami, which makes the 45-mile trek north and visits Florida Atlantic (0-1) on Friday night.

    0 0

    Same-sex marriage was supposed to be a settled matter in America -- it's a constitutional right -- but the issue returned to headlines this month after a Kentucky county clerk refused to license those nuptials.

    Here are eight things to know about Kim Davis, who was jailed for refusing to abide by this summer's historic ruling by the U.S. Supreme Court legalizing same-sex marriage.

    Who is Kim Davis?

    Kim Davis is the publicly elected clerk of Rowan County, Kentucky, which sits in the Appalachian Mountains.

    She is a Democrat who was first elected last fall with 3,909 votes, or 53% of the vote. The county has 23,655 residents.

    Though on the job only since January, Davis is hardly new to its demands.

    Her mother was the county clerk for 37 years, and Davis worked 27 years for her.

    Davis, 49, has spent her entire life in Rowan County, where 96% of people are white and more than a fourth live in poverty.

    What did she do?

    Davis refused to issue marriage licenses to same-sex couples and defied the U.S. Supreme Court ruling legalizing same-sex marriage, made in June.

    "It is not a light issue for me. It is a heaven or hell decision," Davis said in a statement, citing her religion.

    Davis doesn't want her name and title affixed to a same-sex marriage license "that goes down in the annals of Kentucky history," said her attorney, Mat Staver.

    Davis also refused to allow her six deputies to issue same-sex marriage licenses, even though five of them said they were willing to issue them.

    Some of the five deputies said they hold the same religious beliefs as Davis, but they said they would nevertheless follow the law.

    The sixth deputy is Davis' son, Nathan, who didn't give an answer when he appeared in court to discuss whether he would issue same-sex marriage licenses.

    What is her faith?

    Davis experienced a religious conversion 4½ years ago and became an Apostolic Christian, a faith which has a strict moral code. She attends Solid Rock Apostolic Church in the county seat of Morehead.

    "She said she played in the devil's playground for a long time, and her life has been radically changed since then," attorney Staver said.

    She has been married four times, including twice to the same man.

    "I am not perfect. No one is," Davis said in a statement. "But I am forgiven and I love my Lord and must be obedient to him and to the word of God."

    What happened after her defiance?

    A federal judge declared Davis in contempt of court and threw her in jail.

    Davis' defense failed to sway the judge.

    "You can't be separated from something that's in your heart and in your soul," she told the judge, according to CNN affiliate WKYT-TV.

    How long will she be in jail?

    It could be a long time.

    "Theoretically, it could be indefinite," CNN legal analyst Danny Cevallos said.

    "It's a fascinating area of the law. It's a civil remedy in nature, but the effect is clearly incarceration," he added, referring to penalties for contempt of court.

    The judge ruled she will stay behind bars until she complies with the law.

    Davis is an elected official who took an oath to uphold it.

    Davis' husband, Joe, told reporters this week that his wife was willing to stay in jail until a compromise happens.

    "As long as it takes," Joe Davis said. "Hopefully (Kentucky Gov. Steve) Beshear will have the guts to do his job."

    Could there be a compromise?

    Davis' supporters believe there could be a compromise, and her attorney said Davis would issue the licenses if her name and title were not on the documents.

    The state legislature could pass a law allowing clerks to remove their names from the licenses, but lawmakers are out of session until January.

    The governor won't call for a special legislative session to deal with the issue, partly because such a gathering would cost "hundreds of thousands of dollars of taxpayers' money," he said.

    "The General Assembly will convene in four months and can make any statutory changes it deems necessary at that time," the governor said. "The future of the Rowan County clerk continues to be a matter between her and the courts."

    Will she resign or step down? Can she be fired?

    The governor has no legal authority to remove Davis and cannot use an executive order to relieve her of statutory duties, he said.

    Meanwhile, Davis has no intention of resigning, her attorney said.

    "She will remain the clerk of Rowan County as long as the people want her," her attorney said.

    How is she doing in jail?

    She sleeps well and maintains a good spirit, her attorney said.

    Her conscience is clean, even behind bars, the attorney added.

    "She is a prisoner of conscience, if you will," Staver stated. "She is prepared for the consequences."

    Her supporters remained surprised by the turns in the controversy.

    "We did not anticipate we would be here with Kim Davis in an orange jumpsuit," Staver told reporters.

    0 0

    The "2 Seam Dream Foundation" promotes healthy living and raises money for cancer research. CEO and founder Rick Greene chats with Local 10's Neki Mohan about the organization.

    0 0
  • 09/05/15--10:00: Toy gun lands man in jail
  • A Pensacola man is facing charges after authorities say he pointed a toy gun at a deputy.

    The Escambia County Sheriff's Office reports that 22-year-old Carlos Fetituuaki Tuifua was arrested Thursday and charged with aggravated assault and driving without a license.

    The Pensacola News Journal reports that he was later released on $6,000 bail.

    Authorities say the deputy was driving an unmarked car that afternoon when Tuifua pointed what appeared to be a firearm out of his open car window and yelled at the deputy.

    The deputy tracked the vehicle's tag number back to Tuifua's home.

    Deputies say Tuifua admitted to pointing the gun but showed them that it was a small, dart gun.

    A report noted that the black toy did not have the orange tip often used to indicate a gun is a replica.

    0 0

    Daytona Beach police are investigating the death of a 22-year-old pregnant woman.

    The Daytona Beach News-Journal reports that Shaquierra Pinckney's body was found Thursday in a remote Putnam County cemetery.

    The woman's relatives had reported her missing after she did not return home on the evening of Aug. 30.

    Daytona Beach Police Chief Mike Chitwood told the newspaper that Pinckney was a homicide victim and that authorities are investigating her death.

older | 1 | .... | 561 | 562 | (Page 563) | 564 | 565 | .... | 607 | newer