Are you the publisher? Claim or contact us about this channel

Embed this content in your HTML


Report adult content:

click to rate:

Account: (login)

More Channels


Channel Catalog

older | 1 | .... | 554 | 555 | (Page 556) | 557 | 558 | .... | 607 | newer

    0 0

    Ryan Tannehill completed 12 of 15 passes for 102 yards and a touchdown, Damien Williams scored twice for the Miami Dolphins in a 31-30 loss to the Carolina Panthers on Saturday night.

    Williams scored on a 1-yard touchdown run and caught an 11-yard TD pass on a slant route from Tannehill.

    Williams nearly had a third touchdown, but Dolphins coach Joe Philbin errantly challenged an official's call that the second-year running back was stopped before the goal line after diving for the pylon.

    When officials reviewed the play, they determined Williams actually fumbled the ball into the end zone.

    Instead of the Dolphins taking a 20-0 lead — or having a second-and-goal at the Carolina 1 had Philbin not challenged — the Panthers got the ball at the 20 after the touchback.

    Carolina's Cam Newton struggled in his first game without wide receiver Kelvin Benjamin, finishing 4 of 10 for 42 yards with an interception.

    0 0

    Anti-abortion activists held protests Saturday at more than a dozen Planned Parenthood facilities across Florida.

    State health officials recently inspected 16 Planned Parenthood facilities and said three were performing unlicensed second-trimester abortions.

    Planned Parenthood disputed the finding, saying the state changed its definition of how they measure first-trimester.

    The investigation ordered by Republican Gov. Rick Scott mirrors similar probes in other states after stealthily recorded videos showed Planned Parenthood officials discussing how they provide aborted fetal organs for research.

    The organization has said it does not profit from tissue donations and that those programs exist in only a handful of states.

    Abortion opponents say the videos show the organization is illegally harvesting and selling organs.

    Investigations in Massachusetts, Georgia, Indiana and South Dakota found no evidence of wrongdoing.

    0 0

    Worried parents are taking to social media to warn others about clear, sharp fragments they've found in Huggies baby wipes. They claim the wipes are riddled with glass shards. The company says the "shiny particles" are not glass but are sometimes created by fibers during manufacturing.

    It began with Melissa Estrella, a mother in Camarillo, California, who was horrified to find these shards in several packages of Huggies baby wipes. Since posting her video to Facebook on Thursday, it's received more than 6.5 million page views and countless comments from concerned parents as of Saturday morning.

    "If you can see all of this stuff shining on the wipes, that is all glass," she said in the video. "All we have to do is wipe and glass comes right off."

    "I'm not lying you guys, this is glass on my daughter's wipes. I'm just so heartbroken that I didn't notice this sooner."

    Huggies responded to the claims on its Facebook page Thursday evening, individually commenting back to as many concerned posters as possible.

    "While this condition is not normal, it does happen infrequently during the manufacturing process," the post read. "When combined, the fibers in our wipes have on occasion created shiny particles, similar to what was found by this parent."

    Huggies updated its Frequently Asked Questions page about wipes on Friday and said it was working closely with the parent who identified the issue. It also added, "No, we do not use glass in the manufacture of our wipes."

    The company has not recalled the product, saying its always interested in the safety of its consumers.

    Other mothers also shared similar claims, like Aspen Patterson, a mother of two from Rio Rancho, New Mexico. Patterson told CNN affiliate KRQE that her son has had a rash for the past month. She's been using Huggies Natural Care Wipes.

    However, some mothers came to the defense of Huggies, saying the particles they found in the wipes weren't glass.

    "I rubbed it all over my hands arms face and legs. Didn't feel a thing," wrote Danielle Montez on the Huggies page. "Went on to wipe my baby with the next wipe. Team Huggies for going on 9 years now."

    0 0

    Chad Groeschen was working on an outdoor deck for a client a few weeks ago when his left eye started itching. He chalked it up to allergies at first, and then to a sinus infection after his eye got goopy and he could not see out of it. He had no idea his contact lenses were the problem.

    Doctors at Cincinnati Eye Institute diagnosed Groeschen with a bacterial infection that was quickly destroying his cornea, the eye's protective outer layer. "It was basically that if I hadn't had contacts [the bacteria] might not have incubated," said Groeschen, a 39-year-old builder and sculptor in Cincinnati.

    Groeschen had been using extended wear contact lenses, and only taking them out every week to clean. Even though these lenses are approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration for overnight wear, the American Academy of Ophthalmology warns that this type of use increases the risk of infection.

    Groeschen is one of many Americans who use contacts in ways that could jeopardize their eyes. A new report by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention found that, among the 41 million adults in the United States who wear contacts, 99% of them wear, wash or store their lenses in unhygienic ways.

    The most common mistakes were sleeping or napping in contacts, which 50% and 87% of wearers were guilty of. Other mistakes that people reported were failing to replace contacts (50%) and cases (82%) as often as recommended; showering with their lenses in, which can allow bacteria from the water to get onto the lenses (85%); keeping old contact lens solution in the case, which loses its disinfecting power, and just topping it off with fresh solution (55%).

    "Individuals are likely doing at least one, if not more, of these behaviors," said Dr. Jennifer R. Cope, medical epidemiologist at the CDC and lead author of the report.

    Committing more than one of these unhygienic acts can probably further increase a person's risk of infection.

    "We think that there's an event where maybe you seed the contact lens or your case with one of the microorganisms that can cause infection and then subsequent behavior can allow that to amplify so it's causing an infection," Cope said. Showering in lenses or not replacing contact lens solution could seed the bugs, then wearing lenses for too long could allow them to amplify, she added.

    The report found that one third of contact lens wearers have had to go to the doctor at some point because of redness or pain in their eye.

    The CDC is having its second annual Contact Lens Health Week August 24-28 to promote healthy contact wear and care. Many people may not even be aware that they are doing anything wrong, Cope said.

    Groeschen certainly wasn't. He thought overnight wear would be better because he wouldn't have to handle his lenses as much.

    Instead it probably caused an infection with Pseudomonas, which is one of the worst types of bacterial infection in the eye, said Dr. William J. Faulkner, director of urgent services at Cincinnati Eye Institute and one of the doctors who is treating Groeschen.

    The infection became so bad that some of the cells in Groeschen's cornea started to die, Faulkner said. Even now that Groeschen's infection has cleared, he has a scar from that damage that is obscuring his vision. "There is a good possibility that he will need a cornea transplant...his scarring is diminishing but it will not fade completely," Faulkner said.

    If you have pain, redness or pus in the eye, it is critical to remove the contacts and see an eye doctor right away. Faulkner has another patient who waited a week before getting care for an eye infection and the damage spread throughout the eye. "We are trying to save his eye but it is touch and go," Faulkner said.

    0 0

    A man who was with Rosie O'Donnell's missing daughter Chelsea this week has been arrested on charges of distribution of obscenity to a minor and endangering the welfare of a child, authorities said.

    Steven Sheerer, 25, a resident of Barnegat, New Jersey, was picked up Friday after investigators examined the 17-year-old girl's cell phone, according to statement from Ocean County Prosecutor Joseph Coronato.

    On the phone, police found evidence of "inappropriate communications over the last several weeks between Sheerer and the minor," the statement said.

    The comedian tweeted on Tuesday evening that her daughter had been found and was with police. "Thank u all for the help and light," she wrote.

    The prosecutor's statement did not identify the minor but Barnegat police said Chelsea O'Donnell was found in Sheerer's home.

    A computer and other digital equipment were seized as part of the investigation, according to the statement.

    Sheerer is being held in the Ocean County Jail, with bail set at $40,000, the statement said. A judge ordered that he have no contact with the girl or her family. It's unclear whether he has an attorney.

    Each third-degree count against Sheerer carries a possible penalty of five years in prison.

    Cindi Berger, a spokeswoman for Rosie O'Donnell, said earlier this week that Chelsea ran away from home and was last seen by her family on August 11.

    On Tuesday evening, the Rockland County Sheriff's Department in New York requested that a Barnegat police officer check on single-family houses in the small town located about 70 miles south of New York City, Barnegat police Lt. Keith German said. It's unclear how the connection to Barnegat was made.

    At the third house he checked, the officer found a 25-year-old man who he recognized and believed was being evasive, according to Germain.

    The man eventually admitted that Chelsea O'Donnell was inside the house.

    The officer found Chelsea, who said she had gone to the house voluntarily, the Barnegat police lieutenant told CNN.

    That night, the comedian sent thanks to the police departments that helped find her daughter.

    The 17-year-old left home with her 6-month-old therapy dog, a black terrier named Bear, O'Donnell said in a statement on her website. Chelsea had stopped taking medication for an undisclosed mental illness and "is in need of medical attention," the statement said.

    "Chelsea, like millions of people, lives with mental illness," Berger said while the teenager was still missing.

    O'Donnell also shared the information from her social media accounts with pictures of her daughter with her dog.

    The family contacted South Nyack Police in upstate New York last Sunday to report that Chelsea had not returned home, Sgt. Daniel Wilson said. The family had not seen her since August 11, but they had been in contact with her, Wilson said. Berger denied that the family had been in contact with Chelsea since they'd seen her.

    0 0

    A Key Largo man was arrested after shooting at a U.S. Coast Guard vessel Friday night, Monroe County Sheriff's Office deputies said.

    Witnesses told deputies that Daniel Szabo, 41, had a gun and was acting strangely near 51 Shoreland Drive at the Jules Undersea Lodge marina.

    When deputies arrived, Szabo had already left on a dinghy. Witnesses said he was intoxicated and had been waving a gun around and had held it to his own head before taking off.

    Boats from the U.S. Coast Guard and Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission followed Szabo's dinghy to arrest him. In one of the attempts, Szabo crashed into the mangroves and fired his gun at the Coast Guard vessel several times.

    Szabo was safely arrested after authorities ordered him to surrender.

    He was brought to shore and arrested on charges of fleeing and eluding police.

    A Coast Guard investigator said his agency would be pursuing federal charges.

    Follow Local 10 News on Twitter @WPLGLocal10

    0 0

    A massive beehive with thousands of buzzing inhabitants has been removed near a South Florida mall.

    Workers spent about an hour Friday taking away the hive near a Walgreens outside The Mall at Wellington Green.

    It was about three feet tall and two feet wide and estimated to have up to 20,000 bees inside.

    The beekeepers worked without veils or gloves, but said they didn't suffer any stings.

    The Palm Beach Post reports the hive was to be taken to one of the beekeeper's homes, where he has an apiary.

    0 0

    A man who barricaded himself in a Miami Lakes apartment and fired shots when officers approached has been taken into custody, police say.

    Officers responded shortly after 9 a.m. Saturday to reports of shots fired inside of an apartment in the 6900 block of Main Street.

    Police said as the officers approached, Steven Gunther, 67, began shooting through the front door.

    The officers immediately secured the area for public safety. Police said a special response team and hostage negotiators were notified and arrived.

    Negotiators communicated with Gunther and were able to convince him to surrender without incident, police said. Gunther was taken into custody.

    Investigators recovered a high-powered rifle, a shotgun and several rounds of ammunition inside of the apartment, according to Miami-Dade police.

    Gunther was charged with aggravated assault on a law enforcement officer, shooting a deadly missile and unlawful discharge of a firearm, police said.

    Follow Local 10 News on Twitter @WPLGLocal10

    0 0

    After a woman's body was found in a wooded area, police are looking to her boyfriend for answers.

    Detectives returned Saturday to a home in Coral Springs armed with a search warrant, looking for tangible evidence in the case. The place was home to Magdalena Weich, her boyfriend and their 4-year-old son.

    Investigators hope something inside the townhouse can help solve Weich's murder.

    "She's a lovely person. I can't believe she's gone," said neighbor and friend Terri O'Hara.

    News of the 38-year-old mother's death came as a shock to the close-knit neighborhood.

    "I saw cops here, a couple cops when I was leaving for work," said Kathy Wal, a neighbor.

    "Things don't sound right. They don't add up to me," another neighbor said.

    It all started as a missing person's case. Weich's boyfriend, Enrique Macotela, reported her missing Wednesday.

    Macotela told police she left Tuesday night to walk to Barnes & Noble, but never returned home or went to work the next day.

    Weich's boss told police that Macotela called in sick for Weich the same day she disappeared. Two days later at around 6 p.m., a pair of men found Weich's body in a wooded area in the 7200 block of Sample Road, east of Coral Springs High.

    "There was no obvious trauma, but the way it was positioned and the location and other factors make it suspicious in nature," Sgt. Carla Kmiotek said.

    Police said Weich left her purse, keys and phone at home. At this point, Weich's boyfriend is not a suspect or even a person of interest, but has now requested a lawyer.

    "At this point, we need the public's help," Kmiotek said.

    Macotela has not returned calls made by Local 10 News, but the O'Hara family said they spoke with Macotela by phone earlier Saturday.

    "Sounded pretty upset, distressed. Very sad," David O'Hara said.

    "We just want to let him know were concerned about the situation and their son," Terri O'Hara said.

    Some neighbors came to leave flowers for the mother.

    "She went to school, I think she even worked two jobs at one time," David O'Hara said.

    "I feel so sad for the little boy that he's going to lose his mother," Wal said.

    Follow Liane Morejon on Twitter @LianeMorejonTV

    Follow Local 10 News on Twitter @WPLGLocal10

    0 0

    Parents, kids and educators prepare for the first day back at school.

    0 0

    A Broward County grand jury is preparing to investigate the distribution and use of the synthetic drug flakka following at least 33 deaths linked to the substance over the past 10 months.

    State Attorney Michael Satz says the goal is to find ways to assist law enforcement, medical providers and the community as a whole in tackling the growing problem.

    Satz says Broward County hospitals are seeing up to 20 flakka-related patients a day and many more are going to drug treatment centers.

    Flakka can cause a condition known as "excited delirium," which causes delusions and paranoia and can give users adrenalin-fueled strength requiring restraint.

    Flakka and other synthetic drugs are often made in China and can sell for as low as $5 a dose.

    0 0

    Three people were killed and three people are in serious condition after a violent collision on U.S. Highway 1 early Sunday on Shark Key near Key West.

    According to the Florida Highway Patrol, the crash involved two pickup trucks that were traveling in opposite directions on the Shark Key Bridge.

    Two of the victims died at the scene, while a third later died of her injuries at the Lower Keys Medical Center.

    Three people are in serious condition at Miami-Dade County hospitals, while a fourth survivor remains hospitalized.

    Names of the victims have not been released.

    U.S. 1 was closed for five hours during the early morning hours and reopened about 6 a.m. Sunday.

    0 0

    A Big Pine Key woman was arrested Saturday afternoon after she left two disabled men she was caring for in a hot car while she shopped in K-Mart in Marathon, deputies said.

    According to the Monroe County Sheriff's Office, Luda Logash, 62, was arrested on a charge of neglect of a disabled person.

    A witness at the shopping center parking lot saw the two men sitting in the van Saturday afternoon.  The van was not running and had all the windows rolled up.

    A deputy was called and saw the two men were in wheelchairs that were strapped to the floor of the van to keep them from moving.  The men were sweating.  The deputy motioned to the men to roll down the windows, but got no response.

    The deputy tried open the van doors but was unlocked.  As the deputy was trying to open the van doors, Logash came out of the store.

    Paramedics were called to the scene and checked the two men out. They suffer from a disability which does not allow them to open the door, window or exit the vehicle by themselves.

    They were not harmed by the incident.

    The deputy called for another responsible party to come and and take them home to Big Pine Key.

    0 0

    The prosecutor who gained national attention as a key player in the case against Casey Anthony says he committed no crime on the cheating website Ashley Madison and will not resign his post.

    Orange-Osceola State Attorney Jeff Ashton held a news conference Sunday afternoon to address reports that his name appeared on data hacked from the cheating website.

    The East Orlando Post published a report Saturday suggesting Ashton may have had two accounts with the website from July 2013 to February 2015. Data stolen from hackers indicates the account associated with Ashton's name was accessed using an Internet IP address that traces back to the Ninth Judicial Circuit where Ashton works, according to the East Orlando Post.

    During his news conference Sunday Ashton said that he signed up for the site because he was curious.

    "Two years ago, I was curious about the Ashley Madison website and used my personal credit card to sign up for the site," Ashton said Sunday. "I deeply regret my affiliation with the site, which has caused a great amount of stress and heartache to my wife and children. I want to publicly apologize to each of them for this embarrassment and my blatant disregard for their feelings. I indulged curiosity about the site, but it never went beyond that."

    Ashton and his wife have three children, and Ashton has four adult children from previous marriages, according to his biography on the state attorney's website.

    Ashton said he used his personal laptop computer to access the site, while using a WiFi network at the courthouse that's available to anyone in the courthouse complex.

    "There is a report that falsely implies I used government equipment to connect to the site. I did not," Ashton said.

    Orange County Mayor Teresa Jacobs said she's asked the Information Systems and Services team to conduct a complete review of the database to be sure no employee has used taxpayer time or resources to access the site.

    "I ask for the public's forgiveness for my shortcomings, but those choices have had absolutely no impact on the performance of my official duties," Ashton said. "I regret that I've given ammunition to those who seek to discredit the work of our office. I am proud of the work that we have accomplished thus far. But today, I'm not very proud of myself. "

    The veteran prosecutor was at the center of the case against Anthony, who was acquitted in 2011 of the murder of her 2-year-old daughter three years earlier.

    Follow Local 10 News on Twitter @WPLGLocal10

    0 0

    Broward County Sheriff's Deputies confirm at least 11 people were injured in a crash along Southeast Sixth Street and Dixie Highway Sunday night.

    Of the total number of injured, three were seriously hurt and one victim may have been a child, deputies said.

    Information about what led to the wreck was not immediately available.

    This is a developing story, refresh this page and watch Local 10 News throughout the day for updates.

    0 0

    In just a few hours, kids and teens across South Florida will be hearing the first school bells of the new school year.

    0 0

    An owner says he's thankful he invested in a high-tech security system after his surveillance camera caught every move of a thief at his Davie cigar shop

    0 0

    Your photos as your children get ready for the school year

    0 0

    Firefighters rescued a dog from a house fire in Fort Lauderdale Sunday.

    It happened along Northwest 19th Avenue and Lauderdale Manors Drive.

    Fire crews say the home and surrounding area was filled with heavy smoke when they arrived.

    The flames were controlled and put out.

    There were no other injuries.

    0 0

    A minor crash involving a school bus is causing delays in the southbound lanes of Interstate 95 in Miami.

    Sky 10 flew above the crash around 7:15 a.m. Monday as an SUV was being towed from the scene near Northwest 62nd Street. The bus was stopped in a middle lane as authorities investigated. 

    It is unclear if any students were on the bus at the time and where the bus was headed. 

    Watch Local 10 News and refresh for updates on this story. 

    Follow Local 10 News on Twitter @WPLGLocal10

older | 1 | .... | 554 | 555 | (Page 556) | 557 | 558 | .... | 607 | newer