Are you the publisher? Claim or contact us about this channel

Embed this content in your HTML


Report adult content:

click to rate:

Account: (login)

More Channels


Channel Catalog

older | 1 | .... | 525 | 526 | (Page 527) | 528 | 529 | .... | 607 | newer

    0 0

    Broward Sheriff's Office firefighters monitoring a brush fire Wednesday night near Alligator Alley in west Broward County.

    The Florida Forest Service was also notified and arrived at the scene.

    Forestry officials said 250 acres have burned so far. No structures were threatened by the fire.

    The fire was fueled by shrubs and trees in the area. Authorities hoped winds wouldn't drive the fire north.

    Drivers were asked to use caution due to the smoke in the area.

    The cause of the fire is under investigation.

    Follow Local 10 News on Twitter @WPLGLocal10

    0 0

    A Tamarac man faces a charge of premeditated murder in connection with his wife's shooting death.

    Jason Browdy, 35, was arrested and booked in the main Broward County jail early Wednesday morning.

    Broward Sheriff's Office deputies were called to a shooting at 5720 Tuscany Terrace about 6:40 a.m. Tuesday.

    BSO spokeswoman Gina Carter said Browdy, 35, told deputies that he accidentally shot his wife in the head while she slept in their bed.

    Monique Browdy, 33, was taken to Broward Health Medical Center, where she was pronounced dead Tuesday afternoon.

    According to the arrest report, Jason Browdy gave inconsistent statements while being questioned in his wife's death.

    Detectives said Jason Browdy admitted that he sleeps with a gun under his pillow because of drug activity in the neighborhood. Detectives said Browdy initially claimed that the gun discharged as he sat up in bed, but later said the gun accidentally fired while he was standing up.

    A medical examiner said neither incident is possible given the evidence, and the shooter had to have been standing over the victim and in close proximity.

    Judge John Hurley said the fact that Jason Browdy took nearly an hour to call 911 was also concerning.

    "He waits 40 minutes to make a phone call to get emergency services to the house," Hurley said.

    Jason Browdy's parents and sister attended Wednesday's bond court hearing.

    "My son is a good man, and it's unfortunate," Jason Browdy's father told Local 10 News.

    Jason Browdy was arrested on domestic violence charges in June 2008. A Hollywood police arrest report states that he ripped off the screen to a window in the victim's home and tried to get inside. Records do not list the name of the victim in that incident.

    According to the report, police officers told Jason Browdy that the woman wanted him to leave her home.

    "Take me to jail," Jason Browdy said, according to the report. "I don't care. I'm not leaving."

    Police said he returned to the home later that day and was arrested.

    Jason Browdy was denied bond Wednesday.

    Follow Local 10 News on Twitter @WPLGLocal10

    0 0

    The Better Business Bureau issued a summer camp consumer alert following nationwide complaints about Be Inspired Cultural Arts.

    The complaints allege that Be Inspired camps were not delivering services as advertised and closed abruptly without prior notice to parents.

    Lissette Ramos was camp director for the camp in Miami, which was located at the University of Miami Fieldhouse at the BankUnited Center in Coral Gables.

    "Just the fact it was hosted at UM, I think that's what kind of drew me in," said Ramos. "It's close to home (and) it is a safe environment."

    Ramos said staff members had to scramble to purchase their own supplies for the 51 kids in the camp after the company failed to deliver.

    "Once we knew we weren't getting supplies, we all went home, we started bringing in our own supplies, we would stop and buy supplies. I was paying almost $15 a day for copies, you know so the kids would have something to do," said Stephanie Farrington, a school teacher and employee at Be Inspired camp.  "The whole cultural activities, I thought was a good idea, but it wasn't being done."

    Staff also told Local 10 News that the company's owner was not paying them for their work.

    The camp closed after just two weeks, leaving staff without being paid, parents out of money and kids disappointed.

    "The summer camp seemed like a great place to work at and the kids were excellent. It's a shame that this turned into such a nightmare for the employees, parents and children," elementary school teacher Nathalie Louie said. "Most of the employees were left without work or had to find other last minute summer employment as most are Miami-Dade public school teachers."

    The BBB found that the owner of the camps, Quinton Cox, has a history of taking fees for camps that ultimately were not held.

    "We worked so hard. We said to him we cannot continue to work for him if he doesn't plan on paying us," said Ramos. "How could he do this children? How could he do this to parents that paid for certain activities?"

    A Miami mother, Dacia Simpson, told the BBB that she is out over $210 dollars and several other parents told Coral Gables police that they were collectively out more than $1,700.

    One South Florida father told the Attorney General's Office that he was out $450, adding that the business didn't offer any of the services it claimed it would.

    "Now I have to find another camp and pay fees again," he said. "The University of Miami who affiliated themselves with it is not responding and already mentioned that it is not their problem. They did not vet their vendors and do not care about the bad name they will get from it."

    UM officials told Local 10 News it would not comment on the situation.

    The BBB gave Be Inspired camps an "F" rating for failing to respond to complaints filed with them.

    Employees thought the camp was authentic due to its location. With an average of 51 kids ranging from the ages of 3 to 15, the staff had to bring things from home because nothing was provided by the camp.

    According to a Coral Gables police report, parents with kids at the camp were out anywhere from $310 to $644.

    Local 10 News has yet to receive a response from Be Inspired Cultural Arts.

    BBB reminds parents to check with BBB prior to paying fees to a camp or organization. If past problems resulted in a poor BBB rating, a quick and free check of their BBB review would provide warning ahead of time, and may save you from losing money and being stuck with no place for your kids to go during the summer.

    BBB tips for choosing a summer program or day camp:

    Find out how long the camp has been in business and check with parents of past and returning campers. Find out the camper return rate as well as the counselor return rate Check with the BBB prior to paying any fees to find out about the camp's handling of complaints and its trustworthiness. Visit the camp before making a decision. Remember that many universities and schools rent space to outside parties. That doesn't mean the camp is affiliated with the school. Assess the quality and commitment of the staff including the director's background, criteria used for hiring staff, the ratio of staff to campers, the staff's level of expertise in the specific area for specialty camps, and whether the camp does background checks on employees. Know the fees.  What is the total cost of tuition? Is your deposit refundable? Are there extra charges for any activities? Are meals and transportation included? Will your child need additional money while at camp? Is financial aid available? Check the condition and safety of the facilities and equipment. Ask to see a typical daily schedule. Note the camp hours, the variety of activities that are planned, the age range of the campers, what type of food is served, the pace of the day and any transportation that is involved. Be familiar with the camp philosophy. Know what the camp's goals are and how each program offered meets those goals.

    Follow Christina Vazquez on Twitter @CallChristinaTV

    Follow Local 10 News on Twitter @WPLGLocal10

    0 0

    A woman remains in critical condition after driving her SUV into a canal Tuesday in Southwest Ranches.

    Antique-shop owner Claudia Cayne, 53, was only a block away from her home when witnesses said she veered off of Griffin Road, clipping several signs and plunging into the canal.

    Four good Samaritans jumped into the canal to try to save her, but could not locate the vehicle in the deep murky water.

    Firefighters eventually pulled Cayne out, as well as her dog, which was pronounced dead at the scene.

    Cayne was airlifted to Broward Health Medical Center, where she continues to fight for her life.

    Friends on Cayne's Facebook page have posted pictures and prayers for Cayne and her beloved pet.

    Meanwhile, residents in the area said they are concerned about the dangers on that stretch of Griffin Road.

    "I know my husband mentioned it. Maybe we need guardrails up there," said Cayne's neighbor Linda Webb.

    There are guardrails on almost the entire length of Griffin Road, but the guardrails end at Southwest 163rd Street.

    The Florida Department of Transportation manages Griffin Road, also known as State Road 818, but only to Flamingo Road -- then the county takes over.

    An official from the Broward County Highway and Bridge Maintenance Division told Local 10 News that the area where Cayne drove into the canal is in compliance with its guidelines and does not require a guardrail because the road has a curb and the right traffic lane is 40 feet from the edge of bank.

    Follow Local 10 News on Twitter @WPLGLocal10

    0 0

    Donald Trump issued a statement Wednesday following the backlash he's received after his controversial comments about Mexicans.

    Since his comments, Univision, NBCUniversal and Macy's have cut ties with Trump.

    "I am personally offended by the main-stream media's attempt to distort my comments regarding Mexico and its great people," Trump said in his statement. "My views have been consistent and totally clear, but inaccurately reported. I have many successful business relationships with Mexican companies and employ, and am close friends with, many Mexican people.

    "I also have tremendous respect for the leaders of Mexico, who, frankly, are much smarter and tougher than our politicians here in the United States. The disappointment I expressed relates to our incompetent politicians and their failed trade and immigration policies. We cannot allow illegal immigrants to pour into our country. We can barely support our own, much less continue to allow millions of people of many different nationalities to enter our country illegally across an unprotected and porous border and take much needed jobs from American citizens.

    "Further, this is an issue of national security that should be of great concern. It is a matter of fact that Mexico has some of the toughest immigration laws in the world, policies that we should consider ourselves. Our country owes $18 trillion and that number is rising fast. We are in serious trouble, economically and from a security perspective, and we need leaders who are intelligent, truthful and tough in order to negotiate deals with countries like Mexico, and many others, that will Make America Great Again."

    Follow Local 10 News on Twitter @WPLGLocal10

    0 0

    A man accused of killing his wife and then posting a photo of her body on Facebook was removed from a courtroom Wednesday morning after repeatedly interrupting the judge.

    Derek Medina went before Miami-Dade County Judge Yvonne Colodny during a status hearing to assess the readiness of the case for trial, but the hearing was derailed by Medina's refusal to keep quiet.

    "Mr. Medina, I will have you excused from the court if you speak out of turn, sir," Colodny said. "Please be quiet."

    Medina is charged with first-degree murder in the fatal shooting of his wife, Jennifer Alfonso, 29, in August 2013. Police said Medina posted a photo of her bloodied body on Facebook after he shot her. Police said Alfonso's young daughter was home at the time of the shooting.

    Medina claims he killed his unarmed wife in self-defense and told the judge he wanted to show her a video which proves that his wife tried to kill him.

    "This is evidence that the state needs to know about," Medina said.

    "Please have him removed," Colodny told the bailiff after Medina continued to interrupt her.

    Colodny said there will be no more continuances in the trial, no matter the circumstances, and set the trial to begin Oct. 12.

    Follow Local 10 News on Twitter @WPLGLocal10

    0 0

    Newly released police audio gives more details about a crash last month involving reinstated Miami Lakes Mayor Michael Pizzi.

    Pizzi crashed his car the night of June 15 in the area of Northwest 82nd Avenue just south of Commerce Way after he claimed to have been avoiding an animal in the road.

    Police arrived at the scene after receiving calls about a possible hit-and-run crash and said Pizzi was not there when officers first arrived.

    He showed up later and told detectives that he "had a bunch of meetings with people," worked a 20-hour day and was "exhausted."

    "I could barely stay awake. I was driving home. ... I got a couple of text messages, a couple of phone calls," Pizzi told a detective. "All of a sudden I looked. Something cut in front of me. It might have been a cat. It might have been a dog. Next thing I know, I swerve to the right (and) I hit a tree."

    LISTEN: Full interview

    Pizzi told police that he banged his head and left to go to a friend's house, where he asked that person to call a tow truck for him.

    "You said you were on the phone when you crashed?" a Miami-Dade police detective asked.

    "What happened was, unfortunately, my phone never stops ringing," Pizzi said. "And I got a number of phone calls, a number of text messages. I might have been a little distracted. There's a lot of stray dogs and cats here, you know. Something cut in front of me. I'm not sure what it was."

    Pizzi told the detective that he had not been drinking and did not take any medication before the crash.

    "Like any other human being, I can have a traffic accident," Pizzi said in a statement a day after the crash. "Thank God no one was injured and there were no other cars involved and the only property damage was to my car and a tree, which I hope it survives. I am happy that all of the police officers found me to be cooperative and respectful. I am grateful that I was not injured and want to thank those who have reach out to me to express their concerns."

    Pizzi faced the residents of Miami Lakes Wednesday after Councilman Caesar Mestre called a special meeting, where he opened the floor to a packed house.

    "You have to follow the rules. If you don't follow the rules, I'm sorry, but I'm going to call you out," Mestre said to Pizzi.

    The crowd was divided nearly in half. One part saw no merit in the public hearing, the other half raised suspicions and concerns.

    Some of those in attendance said they believe city officials receive preferential treatments from the police department. Others questioned whether the officers are being influenced in any way.

    "I just have to raise something. I'm not going to permit anyone to come up here and slander our town police officers, I'm not," Pizzi said. "I have to recuse myself because if I stay here and vote or participate, there is some conflict of interest based upon the nature of the meeting called."

    Despite advice from the town attorney, Pizzi couldn't help but get the last word.

    "I have absolutely nothing to hide," he said.

    Pizzi recently made headlines for his fight to get his job back as mayor of Miami Lakes.

    Gov. Rick Scott suspended Pizzi after he was charged with bribery and extortion in August 2013. Pizzi was acquitted last year, and his attorneys argued that he should have been reinstated to his position, citing state statute.

    Follow Local 10 News on Twitter @WPLGLocal10

    0 0

    A man diagnosed with schizophrenia and other mental disorders was badly beaten by Broward sheriff's deputies in his cell after he was improperly placed in the general population of the Broward County Jail, according to a lawsuit filed in Broward Circuit Court against Broward Sheriff Scott Israel.

    Photos taken of Charles Williams on the day after the beating -- which occurred while deputies were removing a peanut butter and jelly sandwich from his cell -- showed both of his eyes swollen shut with a laceration on one eyebrow, according to the lawsuit.

    When his mother took him to the hospital after his release from jail on a trespassing charge, it was revealed that Williams had also suffered a broken orbital eye socket, according to the lawsuit filed by Williams' attorney, Gregory Durden.

    "(Deputies) come in and find he had food," Durden said. "He didn't understand it was contraband, and even the officers described that he didn't understand why he couldn't do this. But that's what schizophrenia is. He didn't understand why he couldn't have (a sandwich). He wanted it for later."

    Then came the beating.

    "One of the officers took a fist and hit him just beneath his eye. There's an orbital bone there and he fractured it," said Durden. "After he got punched in the face, he was knocked out, and then they began to kick him and stomp him. He had more bruises than just on his face."

    The supervising deputy on the scene, Sgt. Spencer Steele, wrote in a report that the 5-foot-11, 160-pound Williams began to curse at him while he was confiscating the sandwich and that at one point he jumped from his bunk with balled-up fists and lunged in his direction.

    "Once again, not knowing his intentions and being in fear for my safety, I immediately turned and struck him with a closed fist in the facial area," Steele wrote in his use-of-force report on the incident.

    Another deputy in the cell, Michael Metzler, wrote that Williams "charged" at Steele in "overt, aggressive manner." Metzler too punched Williams.

    "Fearing or the safety of Sgt. Steele, I defended him by striking inmate Williams with a closed fist on the right side of his face," Metzler wrote.

    Despite those blows, both deputies claimed that Williams began to swing his limbs wildly in an effort to resist before he was taken to the ground and restrained.

    In a videotaped deposition given in April, Williams, who often seemed confused and at times nearly vacant during the deposition, said he "blacked out" when he was initially punched in the face.

    "Were you awake when the whole time they were beating you?" asked Dan Losey, BSO's hired outside attorney. "Yes," answered an apparently confused Williams. "You never got knocked out?" Losey asked. "When he punched me I just blacked out," Williams said. "When do you wake up?" asked Losey. "After they beat me," said Williams.

    He said Steele punched him in the face after threatening him.

    "He said, 'Open your mouth again, I'm going to punch you in the face,'" Williams claimed.

    When he was released from jail the next day, his mother, Katrina Williams, said her son was unrecognizable.

    "I walked right past him because I didn't know who he was," she said. "And at the time he wasn't able to open his eyes, so he didn't see me."

    She said there could be no justification for the severity of her son's injuries inflicted by trained deputies.

    "They didn't have to beat him like that," she said.

    Durden agreed that the beating, which was never internally investigated by BSO, was unnecessary.

    "There is no way he should have been beaten up like this," said the attorney. "Charles threw no punches at all. He didn't fight with them. You don't hit somebody in the face like that. That's not what you do. There are different ways of restraining him."

    Israel, who was not yet in office in October 2012 when the beating occurred, claims in court filings that Williams' injuries were due not to his agency's actions but to Williams' own "negligence."

    The suit alleges that deputies used unreasonable force against Williams, but Durden said the larger issue is that Armor Correctional Health Services, which provides health services at the jail and is also named in the suit, failed to properly screen Williams as mentally ill and place him in the jail's general population rather than in the infirmary.

    Records show that Williams refused to see medical personnel when he was booked into the jail, and his mugshot shows an obviously troubled Williams with eyes closed, so withdrawn that a BSO employee is using the back of his hand to hold up the inmate's head for the camera. Durden said Williams had been off his Haldol medication for weeks before the arrest.

    "He's schizophrenic. You can look at him and tell there's something wrong with him," said Durden. "What they did was put him in the general population as opposed to the infirmary. That's the issue. He would have been treated differently ... and this wouldn't have happened at all."

    Armor has a contract with BSO worth about $28 million a year to provide health care services at the jail, including mental health screening. Shane Gunderson, director of client services for the Broward Public Defender's Office, said he has had serious issues with Armor's performance for years.

    "Armor is neglecting a lot of these seriously mentally ill people and I'm getting a lot of complaints, higher than normal," said Gunderson. "They don't know what they are doing over there and it's shameful."

    Gunderson points to another lawsuit filed against the sheriff involving another schizophrenic inmate, Raleigh Priester, who starved to death in the jail in 2012, the same year that Williams was beaten. Citing HIPAA privacy laws, Armor declined to comment on the Williams case, but in a statement said that it is "committed to delivering quality patient care."

    Williams, meanwhile, has struggled to find a place a live and since the beating has been in and out jail. He is currently jailed on relatively minor charges.

    "He needs the proper medical attention and therapy to get through whatever is going on with him," she said.

    She said she couldn't allow her son, now 26, to live in her home because of his unpredictable behavior and the fact that she has a young daughter living with her. His current jail stint came after he violated an injunction restricting him from coming to the home. Her son was once a loving and protective oldest brother to her other children, she said.

    "It's very heart-wrenching," she said. "I want to save you, but I don't have the tools to save you."

    She said the jail beating only accelerated his fall into chaos. Durden said that jail, where he is now kept outside the general population and is getting the medication he needs, is one of the few places where his client finds security. He said one reason he felt so strongly about the case is that his own brother has serious mental issues.

    "But he's a Vietnam vet, so there's a place for him," Durden said. "There's no place for Charles. When he gets out, he's going to fall through the cracks again. Nobody cares about people who have mental health issues. They don't have a lobby for them ... I want justice for him and for people like him."

    Follow Bob Norman on Twitter @NormanOn10

    Follow Local 10 News on Twitter @WPLGLocal10

    0 0

    A terrorism warning was issued to federal and local law enforcement agencies around the country ahead of the Fourth of July weekend.

    0 0

    Whether you live in Broward or Miami-Dade County, there are plenty of options for where you can go to watch fireworks and join in celebrations with your loved ones.

    Below is a list of venues hosting events throughout the day.

    Broward County:

    Fort Lauderdale: Fourth of July Spectacular on Fort Lauderdale Beach

    A1A and Las Olas Boulevard.

    Fireworks start at 9 p.m.

    Hollywood: The Seminole Hard Rock Hotel & Casino

    Event begins at 6 p.m. Fireworks start at 9 p.m.

    Lauderdale-by-the-Sea: El Prado Park

    Independence Day Parade starts at 10 a.m. Fireworks start at 9 p.m.

    Pompano Beach:

    South of the Pompano Pier to Atlantic Boulevard and from A1A east to the ocean.

    Celebration begins at 4 p.m. and ends at midnight.

    Deerfield Beach:

    Main Beach parking lot at Southeast First Street and Ocean Way.

    Event begins at 2 p.m. Fireworks start at 9 p.m.

    Weston: 13th annual Weston Hometown 4th of July Celebration

    Weston Regional Park- 5K run 7 a.m.

    Parade: Weston Town Center at 10:30 a.m. 

    No fireworks display.

    Tamarac: All American Celebration

    City Sports Complex, 7700 block of Nob Hill Road.

    Fireworks begin at 9 p.m.  

    Miami-Dade County:

    Coral Gables: Biltmore's 2015 Fireworks Spectacular

    Stars and Striped BBQ Dinner from 6:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.

    Fireworks start at 9 p.m.

    Hialeah: Ted Hendricks Stadium

    From 5 p.m. to 10 p.m.

    Key Biscayne: 4th of July Parade

    Crandon Boulevard

    Begins at 11 a.m. Fireworks start at 9 p.m.

    Miami Beach: Fire on the Fourth Festival

    Collins Avenue and 73rd Street.

    Celebration held from 11 a.m. to 9 p.m.

    Downtown Miami: America's Birthday Bash

    Bayfront Park

    Begins at 3 p.m. Fireworks start at 9 p.m.

    Coconut Grove: 4 of July Celebration

    The Barnacle

    Begins at 11 a.m. Fireworks start at 9 p.m.

    North Miami: Independence Day Celebration by the Bay

    FIU Biscayne Bay Campus

    Gates open at 7 p.m. Fireworks start at 9 p.m.

    0 0
  • 07/02/15--18:33: Police search for Davie man
  • Police are searching for a 25-year-old man who was last seen Friday at 13430 SW Fifth St.

    Police said Cody William Boyle left the home on a black bicycle, wearing a white shirt with a gray stripe, white shorts and a Boston Red Sox hat, and had a blackback pack on him.

    Boyle has not contacted his family or friends since he was last seen.

    Anyone with any information on Boyle's whereabouts is asked to contact the Davie Police Department at 954-693-8308.

    Follow Local 10 News on Twitter @WPLGLocal10

    0 0

    Wildlife authorities are investigating after dozens of flamingo chicks at Hialeah Park mysteriously disappeared this week.

    "I'm at a complete loss. I've been distraught now for a couple of days," said Hialeah Park Vice President Dennis Testa.

    Testa said the chicks hatched weeks ago and now they're all gone.

    "For 45 to 50 birds (and) only the babies to disappear overnight is just totally perplexing to me," said Testa.

    Testa took photos of the chicks Monday evening. He said after a windy storm that downed trees and ripped flags, the chicks were still doing fine. But the next morning they were gone.

    "Tuesday we didn't see them at all," said park employee Eric Keys.  

    "It's a bit devastating. We've been waiting for them to hatch, and then they finally do and they're all gone," said Mitchell Rigley.

    "We see no signs of any carcasses or predator," said Testa. "We searched the whole lake, along the lake bank."

    A wildlife investigator is on the case and suggests someone targeted and stole the chicks for the black market . He said they are too young to fly and too small to run. 

    "I've been here since 1958 (and) never lost a bird," said Testa. "It's devastating to us. This is our history, our legacy out here. The birds have been here forever."

    Follow Local 10 News on Twitter @WPLGLocal10

    0 0

    A person familiar with the negotiations says Dwyane Wade is staying with the Miami Heat.

    The person said Wade informed the Heat Thursday he will accept a one-year offer to re-sign for $20 million for next season. The person spoke to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity because no NBA deals can be finalized this summer until July 9.

    Wade released a statement after the news broke saying, "It has been an honor and privilege to play with the Miami Heat the past twelve years. The Heat family and I have shared incredible moments over the years and I look forward to continuing our journey. I am extremely proud of my personal contributions in helping to build the Heat franchise and for bringing three NBA championship wins to our great city. For my entire NBA career, Miami has always been my city and my home. I'm overwhelmed with the love and support the Miami community have consistently shown me and my family throughout the years."

    The news ends a weeks-long, sometimes contentious, saga between the Heat and their franchise player. Wade was open to the idea of leaving Miami over a contract dispute, moreso than ever before.

    But in the end, the three-time champion and the only team for whom he's played worked out a deal that conceivably could mean he will finish his career in Miami.

    However, Pat Riley, the Heat's president of basketball operation, announced Thursday that the team has been in negotiations with Wade and intends to re-sign him to a contract at the end of the NBA Moratorium Period.

    Wade's agent also released a statement Thursday saying, "This contract is a win-win for both Dwyane and the HEAT. Not only does Dwyane get to extend his Hall of Fame-worthy career with the only franchise for whom he has ever played, but he will have the flexibility next summer to sign an additional deal. And the HEAT gets to keep their franchise cornerstone while having the ability to build a championship-contending roster."

    An 11-time All-Star, Wade averaged 21.5 points this past season.

    0 0

    Palm trees were burning Thursday in the median on Interstate 595 in Sunrise.

    Sky 10 was above the scene shortly after 5 p.m. as smoke and flames filled the air on the highway near an exit ramp.

    Cars were still getting by as firefighters quickly got the fire under control.

    It's unclear what sparked the fire.

    Follow Local 10 News on Twitter @WPLGLocal10

    0 0

    A woman was rescued by officers and firefighters Thursday afternoon after she drove her car through a seawall on Presidential Drive, Boynton Beach police said.

    Firefighters cut and peeled back the windshield with the woman's car dangling on the dock, police said.

    Officers and firefighters were able to pull the woman out of the car.

    The woman was taken to a hospital for evaluation, police said.

    Video above courtesy of Bill Hodges.

    Follow Local 10 News on Twitter @WPLGLocal10

    Watch: Boynton Beach police, fire rescue video

    0 0

    A man claiming to be a "voodoo priest" accused of having sex with an underage girl has been arrested, Sunrise police said.

    Brogenet Cinor, 48, was charged with sexual battery on a child less than 12 years of age.

    On Sept. 25, the victim went to the Sunrise Police Department with her parents to provide details of an incident that happened when she was in middle school between 2009 and 2010, police said.

    The victim and a person believed to be the girl's mother met with Cinor, a "voodoo priest," at his home, police said. The girl's mother stayed in the front of the home while the girl was brought to a man-made structure in the backyard, described as being like a tiki hut made out of wood, according to the police report.

    The girl told police that once she was inside the structure, Cinor asked her to pull her pants down. Police said Cinor then pulled his pants down, exposing his genitalia, and sat on a chair.

    Cinor told the girl to sit on top of him, and he then performed a sexual act, police said. According to the report, Cinor restrained the girl's arms and would not allow her to get up.

    The girl told police that when Cinor was finished having sex with her, he took out his wallet and gave her money.

    According to the police report, the girl's mother told police a few weeks after the incident happened. Cinor was confronted on the phone, at which time he denied having sex with her, but told the mother "that she would be cursed and that she would die if she mentioned this to anyone else," the report stated.

    The girl's mother then went to three sessions with Cinor, which included prayer by candlelight and two liquid "potion" treatments, police said. The girl's mother said Cinor never attempted to have sex with her during her treatments.

    During her final treatment, Cinor told the girl's mother that her daughter had bad spirits inside of her and needed to be cleansed, according to the report. The mother strongly believes in Haitian voodoo and was still in fear of what Cinor may do to her or her daughter, police said.

    It wasn't until the girl's father became aware of the incident that they went to the Sunrise Police Department to speak with officers.

    In another incident, police also spoke with two women who allegedly had relationships with Cinor in 2008-2009. Police said the women are sisters who went to him seeking spiritual readings.

    One woman was told to come back so Cinor could treat her because she was being plagued by evil spirits, according to the report.

    The woman went with Cinor into the backyard structure and was told to remove her pants and underwear. According to the police report, Cinor had her lay on a shirt on the floor, at which time he had sex with her.

    Cinor told the woman that she would die if she didn't continue to see him romantically. The woman told police she had sex with him six times over the course of the following months.

    Police said during their relationship, the woman became pregnant with Cinor's child. Cinor took the woman to a clinic where he paid $450 for her to terminate her pregnancy, according to the police report.

    Cinor continued to threaten the woman, telling her that she would die if she told anyone of their relationship, police said.

    A similar situation happened to a woman who was 28 years old in 2009. She told police Cinor took her into the structure and told her that she "must act quickly or that she would die." According to the report, the woman had sex with Cinor and was told to return the next day so he could "cleanse her of the spirits."

    The woman eventually became pregnant with Cinor's child, in which she was taken to a woman's clinic where Cinor paid $500 to terminate her pregnancy, police said.

    Another similar incident detailed how Cinor used sex as his way of "cleansing" the person's so-called spirits. Cinor also used threats of voodoo to inhibit the women from telling anyone of their relationships, the report said.

    A warrant for Cinor's arrest was issued June 19 and he was later taken into custody at the Sunrise Police Department. He was taken to the Broward Sheriff's Office main jail facility. Bond was set at $75,000, police said.

    Sunrise police said they are hoping to identify any additional victims who have not been in contact with them.

    Follow Local 10 News on Twitter @WPLGLocal10

    0 0

    While most school reunions are held in hotel ballrooms or local gymnasiums, a recent South Florida get-together occurred, in of all places, a courtroom.

    As Miami-Dade judge Mindy Glazer was presiding over bond court on Tuesday, she looked up and noticed a very familiar face standing before her.

    The suspect in front of the bench was Arthur Booth, a classmate of Glazer's at Nautilus Middle School.

    [RAW: Courtroom school reunion between judge, suspect]

    Glazer asked if Booth, who is facing numerous charges including burglary and grand theft, had attended the school.

    "Oh, my goodness! Oh, my goodness!" exclaimed Booth before beginning to cry.

    Glazer said that Booth was the nicest and best kid in school.

    "I used to play football with him, all the kids, and look what has happened," Glazer said. "I'm sorry to see this."

    Booth's cousin, Melissa Miller, said he had potential to do great things in his life. She believed that he felt a sense of shame and remorse when he saw Glazer, and old schoolmate.

    "It just brought back memories of how smart he was. He was a scholar, a well-rounded athlete, bilingual," Miller said.

    But instead of college, Miller said Booth went on another path of crime and drugs. She said the cycle of incarceration and on-and-off drug use was vicious.

    Miller said despite his criminal record, Booth is a good person and a loving father and grandfather.

    "I was heartbroken. It just broke my heart. We're really trying to find help because there's really a need for help," she said.

    As Booth continued to cry, Glazer continued to wish him well in turning his life around.

    "Good luck to you, sir," Glazer told Booth. "I hope you're able to come out of this OK and just lead a lawful life."

    While the emotional reunion was certainly the talk of the courts, Glazer had no problem dispensing justice and set Booth's bond at $44,000.

    Follow Janine Stanwood on Twitter @JanineStanwood

    Follow Local 10 News on Twitter @WPLGLocal10

    0 0

    A man who barricaded himself after leaving a suspicious package at a Miami Beach bank during a robbery was shot and killed Thursday, police said.

    The FBI said the robbery happened about noon at a Regions branch on Arthur Godfrey Road.

    FBI spokeswoman Jim Marshall said the robber got away with an undisclosed amount of money.

    "It was a very, very scary scene," said witness Orlpha Noel. "I've been here since 1 p.m."

    Sky 10 was above the scene as a bomb technician approached the bank. The SWAT team was also at the scene.

    Agents said two people were assaulted during the robbery. One was taken to Mt. Sinai with non-life-threatening injuries.

    Roads were closed in the area of 41st Street near Meridian Avenue, backing up eastbound traffic on the Julia Tuttle Causeway.

    "We've been stuck. We can't cross the bridge. My car is parked there," a driver said.

    Roads were reopened shortly before 5 p.m. after the all clear was given.

    FBI agents said the suspicious package left behind was deemed as not dangerous.

    The man was shot and killed by law enforcement Thursday night where he lived.

    Follow Liane Morejon on Twitter @LianeMorejonTV

    Follow Local 10 News on Twitter @WPLGLocal10

    0 0

    Before you head out for some barbecue or to catch some fireworks, this Independence Day, check out some famous people who really were born on the Fourth of July.

    0 0

    A South Florida couple started a candle company for their daughter that now has 20 young adult employees with special needs getting hands on work experience.

older | 1 | .... | 525 | 526 | (Page 527) | 528 | 529 | .... | 607 | newer